About Tim Swartz
Tim is an associate in our Antitrust, Competition, and Trade practice based in Washington, DC.
Tim advises clients on a range of antitrust issues, including mergers, joint ventures, civil litigation, and investigations. He also supports clients facing transaction reviews before the Committee on Foreign Investment in the United States (CFIUS) and other foreign direct investment (FDI) regimes, including multi-jurisdictional coordination.
Tim joined Freshfields after legal internships with the United States Department of Justice Antitrust Division, the Export-Import Bank of the United States, and the chambers of the Honorable M. Hannah Lauck, United States District Judge for the Eastern District of Virginia. Prior to law school, Tim was a paralegal in the Antitrust, Competition, and Trade practice for three years.
While in law school, Tim was the lead author of the brief awarded Best Brief at the 50th annual William B. Spong, Jr. Moot Court Tournament, where his team earned second place overall.
Tim's experience includes advising:
- Infineon on its $830 million acquisition of GaN Systems Inc.
- AmerisourceBergen on its $1.3 billion acquisition of PharmaLex.
- Ericsson on its:
- $6.2 billion acquisition of Vonage.
- divestiture to Aeris of its Internet of Things business.
- Maersk on its proposed $1 billion sale of Maersk Container Industry, a leading manufacturer of refrigerated containers, to China International Marine Containers Co., a Chinese provider of transportation equipment, including shipping containers.
- A European energy company active in the United States on a third-party investment in the company.
- As a law clerk, Evonik in the successful litigated defense of its acquisition of PeroxyChem. Read more here.
J.D. magna cum laude, George Mason University Antonin Scalia Law School
B.A. Foreign Affairs, University of Virginia
- Member, Antitrust Law Section, American Bar Association
- Symposium Editor, George Mason Law Review
- District of Columbia