About Samantha Tan
Samantha is a Partner in our international arbitration practice group. She is experienced in representing clients in complex, high-stakes, commercial disputes, usually involving cross-border elements.
Samantha represents clients in international commercial and construction disputes. She also represents both investors and States in ISDS.
She has represented and advised clients in commercial and treaty arbitration under a wide range of arbitral rules, including ICSID, UNCITRAL, ICC, SIAC, AIAC, and HKIAC. These have arisen from private and public M&A, investments, joint ventures, and shareholder disputes, and have involved the energy, financial, life sciences, technology, real estate, automotive, consumer goods, and other sectors.
Samantha also has years of experience practising in commercial litigation before the Singapore High Court and Court of Appeal, with a top-tier Singapore disputes practice. She also regularly acts as mediator.
She has been named in The Legal 500’s 2023 Private Practice Powerlist for Arbitration in Southeast Asia and is recognised by Who’s Who Legal as a Future Leader in the Arbitration Future Leaders – Partners and Southeast Asia – Arbitration categories for 2023.
Samantha speaks English and Mandarin.
- Representing the Republic of Korea in the investor-State arbitration under the KORUS FTA brought by Elliott Associates, L.P.
- Representing a northeast Asian State in an investor-State arbitration under the UNCITRAL Rules commenced by alleged Iranian investors relating to a failed M&A transaction
- Representing a southeast Asian State in an investor-State arbitration under the UNCITRAL Rules commenced by an alleged dual national and relating to alleged real estate investments
- Representing a Japanese energy investor in an Energy Charter Treaty arbitration under the ICSID Rules against Spain, relating to changes to Spain's regulatory regime on tariffs in the renewable energy sector
- Representing a multinational oil and gas company in a billion-dollar arbitration relating to the construction of an offshore floating platform
- Representing an Asian oil and gas major in an SIAC arbitration arising from a joint venture for the exploration and development of a natural gas field in the East China Sea
- Representing a multinational energy company in a SIAC arbitration arising from commodities trading contracts
- Representing the sellers in a post-M&A arbitration under the ICC Rules arising from a transaction in the pharmaceutical industry
- Representing a French multinational in a post-M&A arbitration under the ICC Rules relating to post-closing adjustment clauses and real estate investments
- Bachelor of Laws (Honours), National University of Singapore
- Admitted to practise in Singapore
- Associate Mediator of the Singapore Mediation Centre