About Samantha Tan
Samantha is a senior associate in our international arbitration practice group, based in our New York office. She has extensive experience representing clients in complex, high-profile, and politically sensitive disputes.
Her practice includes representing States and investors in investment treaty arbitrations, as well as international commercial and construction arbitrations. She has been involved in several such arbitrations relating to oil and gas exploration and development, post-M&A issues, joint ventures, shareholder disputes, real estate investments, and the manufacturing, pharmaceutical, technology, and other industries.
She has years of experience acting in commercial litigation before the Singapore High Court and Court of Appeal, with a top-tier Singapore disputes practice. She also regularly acts as mediator.
Samantha speaks English and Mandarin.
- advising an Asian oil and gas major in an SIAC arbitration commenced by its joint venture partners under various instruments governing the parties’ exploration and development of a natural gas field in the East China Sea;
- advising a Northeast Asian State in an UNCITRAL investor-State arbitration commenced by Iranian alleged investors and relating to an aborted M&A transaction;
- advising a Southeast Asian State in an UNCITRAL investor-State arbitration commenced by a dual-national and relating to alleged real estate investments;
- advising a Japanese energy investor in an Energy Charter Treaty arbitration under the ICSID Rules against Spain, relating to changes to Spain's regulatory regime on tariffs in the renewable energy sector;
- advising an oil and gas major in a construction arbitration under the KLRCA Rules relating to an offshore deepwater floating production system, with more than US$1 billion at stake;
- advising on an ICC arbitration involving Japanese and Indian commercial parties in the pharmaceutical industry and a claim amount in excess of US$2 billion; and
- advising a French multinational in a post-M&A ICC arbitration relating to real estate investments.
- Bachelor of Laws (Honours), National University of Singapore
- Admitted to practice in Singapore
- Associate Mediator of the Singapore Mediation Centre