About Daan van Schaik
Daan is a senior associate in the Tax team in our firm's Amsterdam office and joined the firm in 2015.
His practice focuses on international tax advice, in particular in the area of mergers and acquisitions, (structured) finance transactions and tax related disputes and litigations. Daan acts for a wide variety of clients, including financial institutions, private equity funds and clients in the technology, media and telecoms (TMT) sector.
Most recently, Daan has acted for clients in the context of the European Commission’s state aid investigations into tax rulings issued to multinational companies.
Daan is fluent in Dutch and English.
- Advising Universal Music Group on its separation from Vivendi and listing on Euronext Amsterdam.
- Advising The Goldman Sachs Group Inc., on its acquisition of NN Investment Partners from NN Group for EUR1.6bn.
- Advising funds managed by Oaktree Capital Management on the acquisition of High Tech Campus Eindhoven(HTCE) from investor Marcel Boekhoorn.
- Advising Talpa Holding on the proposed merger between Talpa Network and RTL Nederland combining their broadcasting and affiliated media businesses in the Netherlands.
- Advising E.ON (including its Dutch subsidiary Essent) on the disposal of its Dutch mid-market power and gas B2B business to Eneco.
- Advising Ardian on the acquisition of Deli Home, a leading manufacturer and distributor of home improvement products.
- Advising and representing various US multinationals on tax-related state aid procedures initiated by the European Commission, including appeals with the European Courts.
- LLB tax law, University of Amsterdam
- LLM international & European tax law, University of Amsterdam (cum laude)
- Member of the Amsterdam Bar (advocaat)
- Tax adviser (belastingadviseur)