About Ricky Versteeg
Ricky is a trusted adviser to his clients on their most significant risk issues, particularly those concerning competition law.
He co-ordinates the multi-jurisdictional defence of high-stakes competition litigation in courts in England and around Europe, and is experienced in advising on competition and regulatory investigations by a broad range of competition and sectoral regulators.
Ricky’s background in economics allows him to work seamlessly and effectively with economic and other experts. He also has a deep understanding of the UK and European legislation concerning competition damages actions, having participated in the key law reform processes over recent years and currently acting on the groundbreaking Merricks v Mastercard and Trucks litigations concerning, amongst other novel issues under those new regimes, UK antitrust class actions.
Ricky is based in our London office and is a member of our global antitrust litigation and collective and class action skills groups.
- Defending Mastercard in the groundbreaking Merricks v Mastercard collective proceedings (class action) before the Court of Appeal and Supreme Court. The case is reportedly the largest damages claim ever brought in the UK and the Supreme Court's judgment will determine the approach to be applied in all UK antitrust class actions. Read more in our case study.
- Acting for Volvo/Renault Trucks in the co-ordination of its Europe-wide defence of claims arising from the European Commission’s decision relating to the trucks industry, including its defence of proposed collective proceedings in the UK Competition Appeal Tribunal.
- Acting for the Vita Group in its defence of cartel damages claims in the English High Court and UK Competition Appeal Tribunal following the European Commission's decision concerning polyurethane foam.
- Obtaining urgent injunctive relief in the English High Court on behalf of a multinational company in order to prevent an alleged abuse of dominance on a global market.
- Advising companies in the consumer products, telecommunications and energy sectors on investigations by competition and sectoral regulators, including the CMA, Ofcom and Ofgem.
- University of Cambridge – LLM (First Class)
- Victoria University of Wellington – LLB (Hons, First Class)
- Victoria University of Wellington – BCom (Economics)
- Solicitor, England and Wales
- Barrister and Solicitor, New Zealand
Ricky began his career in New Zealand, where he conducted litigation as a Barrister and Solicitor in the New Zealand High Court, Court of Appeal and Supreme Court, and lectured in Law and Economics at Victoria University of Wellington.