About Ricky Versteeg
Ricky is a trusted adviser to his clients on their most significant disputes, particularly those concerning competition law.
Ricky co-ordinates the multi-jurisdictional defence of litigation in England and around Europe, and guides clients through investigations by competition and sectoral regulators. He is a member of our global antitrust litigation and collective and class action skills groups.
Ricky’s background in economics allows him to work seamlessly and effectively with economic and other experts. He also has a deep understanding of the UK and European legislation concerning antitrust litigation, having participated in the key law reform processes over recent years and currently acting on the groundbreaking Merricks v Mastercard and Trucks litigations concerning, amongst other novel issues, UK antitrust class actions.
Ricky also has an active pro bono practice, acting for the claimant on a recent landmark human rights case. He is a steering committee member of the firm's UK Mental Health Affinity Network and participates in the candidate selection and mentoring processes for the firm's flagship Stephen Lawrence Scholarship Scheme.
Ricky is based in our London office.
- Defending Mastercard in the groundbreaking Merricks v Mastercard collective proceedings (class action) before the UK Competition Appeal Tribunal, Court of Appeal and Supreme Court. The case is reportedly the largest damages claim ever brought in the UK and the Supreme Court's judgment is the leading authority on UK antitrust class actions. Read more in our case study.
- Acting for Volvo/Renault Trucks in the co-ordination of its Europe-wide defence of claims arising from the European Commission’s decision relating to the trucks industry, including its defence of proposed collective proceedings in the UK Competition Appeal Tribunal.
- Acting for the Vita Group in its defence of cartel damages claims in the English High Court and UK Competition Appeal Tribunal following the European Commission's decision concerning polyurethane foam.
- Obtaining urgent injunctive relief in the English High Court on behalf of a multinational company in order to prevent an alleged abuse of dominance on a global market.
- Advising companies in the consumer products, telecommunications and energy sectors on investigations by competition and sectoral regulators, including the CMA, Ofcom and Ofgem.
- University of Cambridge – LLM (First Class)
- Victoria University of Wellington – LLB (Hons, First Class)
- Victoria University of Wellington – BCom (Economics)
- Solicitor, England and Wales
- Barrister and Solicitor, New Zealand
- Member of E List, Brussels Bar
Ricky began his career in New Zealand, where he conducted litigation as a Barrister and Solicitor in the New Zealand High Court, Court of Appeal and Supreme Court, and lectured in Law and Economics at Victoria University of Wellington.