About Alexander Viktorov
Alexander leads our antitrust, competition and trade practice in Russia.
His experience includes assisting various multinational companies and Russian clients on the Russian-law aspects of their cross-border M&A transactions, including the preparation of antitrust and foreign strategic investment filings and obtaining clearances from the Russian antitrust authority and the Government Commission in charge of foreign investment in 'strategic' assets.
Alexander also advises on Russian antitrust law, including restrictive practices and abuse of dominance, natural monopolies, pricing policy and antitrust offences, as well as issues arising out of the Russian Law on Foreign Investments in Strategic Entities. Further, he assists clients with internal compliance audits and dawn raids, and represents clients in relevant FAS proceedings.
Before joining the firm in 1998, he worked as in-house counsel for a Russian company.
Alexander speaks Russian and English.
- Advising Holcim on the Russian merger control and 'foreign strategic investment' aspects of its high-profile merger of equals with Lafarge to create the world's largest cement producer with combined sales of £32bn across operations in some 90 countries around the world, including preparation of the antitrust and 'foreign strategic investment' filings and obtaining clearances for them.
- Advising London Stock Exchange Group (LSEG) on the Russian merger control aspects of its proposed all-share merger of equals with Deutsche Börse, including preparation of the antitrust filing and obtaining clearance from the Russian antitrust authority.
- Representing Canada Pension Plan Investment Board on its acquisition of 40 per cent of Glencore Agricultural Business. The transaction concerned 20 merger and foreign investment filings in 17 jurisdictions, including the EU, Russia and China.
- Advising Caisse de Dépôt et Placement du Québec on the Russian merger control and foreign investment aspects of its $1.5bn investment in Bombardier Transportation UK, including preparation of the merger control and foreign investment filings and obtaining clearances for them.
- Advising China National Chemical Corporation (aka ChemChina), the largest enterprise in China’s chemical industry, on the Russian antitrust and foreign investment aspects of the proposed acquisition of a stake in Pirelli. The acquisition had a material Russian law angle, and required foreign investment and merger control clearances from the Federal Antimonopoly Service of Russia for ChemChina for the acquisition of 'the rights to determine the terms of conduct of business' of Pirelli’s six Russian subsidiaries.
- Lomonosov Moscow State University Law School, Russia
- New York University School of Law, US (master of law)