About Dr. Andreas von Bonin
Andreas' practice focuses on European competition law spanning merger control and joint venture cases, antitrust compliance and investigations of anti-competitive behaviour, as well as competition litigation before the EU courts.
Andreas also specialises in EU state aid and regulatory procedures, including in the context of privatisations and most recently in respect of the European Commission’s focus on state aid breaches through member states’ tax measures.
With over 15 years’ experience of working with the European Commission and other EU institutions, he has a very solid understanding of EU priorities and processes. He heads our Brussels antitrust group and also oversees our EU regulatory and public affairs practice, which advises clients at the interface of law, politics and business.
Andreas is part of Freshfields’ Connected Innovation initiative advising on the development and implementation of legal technology in client solutions for compliance and legal operations. He also serves as global Technology & Innovation Partner, overseeing the firm’s own digital transformation and innovation programmes.
Andreas works in German, English and French.
- Advising several financial and non-financial companies (i.a. ING, JP Morgan, Sixt, TUI, Deutsche Bank) on State aid matters in relation to the COVID-19 outbreak and the compatibility of Member States’ support measures with EU law.
- Advising Deutsche Bank on the merger control and competition aspects of the Master Transaction Agreement for its Global Prime Finance business and its electronic equity trading business with BNP Paribas.
- Advising National Bank of Greece (NBG) on the merger control and state aid aspects of the divestment of its subsidiary Ethniki Insurance to CVC.
- Advising major multinationals (client names confidential) from across various sectors of the economy in the European Commission's wave of formal investigations into state aid through national tax regimes, including in respect of appeal procedures before the European Courts in Luxembourg. Andreas continues to advise several major European financial institutions and governments on the state aid aspects of restructuring and resolution proceedings and helps sellers and bidders in privatisations of state owned assets.
- Advising AB InBev on the global competition strategy for its $106bn acquisition of SABMiller, which created one of the world's largest consumer goods companies. The deal was subject to regulatory clearances in more than 30 countries and required remedies including a significant disposal of assets across the US, Europe and Asia, and public interest commitments in several jurisdictions. Read more about the deal in our case study.
- Advising AES, Urenco, and HGV (Asset Management Company of the City of Hamburg) in several energy related state aid proceedings led by the European Commission.
- University of Freiburg, Germany (law)
- Columbia University Law School, New York, US (LLM)
- Düsseldorf and Brussels (E-list) Bars