About Rita Xia
Rita is an associate in our antitrust, competition, and trade practice and is based in Washington, DC.
Rita advises clients on the antitrust aspects of multinational mergers and acquisitions, including antitrust risk assessment, deal negotiations, multi-jurisdictional merger control, and advocacy before the US Department of Justice (DOJ) and the Federal Trade Commission (FTC). She has experience guiding clients through civil antitrust litigation, in-depth agency investigations, as well as complex compliance frameworks. Rita has worked for clients across various sectors, including technology, financial services, life sciences, chemicals, retail, and manufacturing.
Prior to joining Freshfields, Rita served as a law clerk in the office of FTC Commissioner Rebecca Kelly Slaughter where she analyzed antitrust and consumer protection matters pending before the Commission. She also worked as a legal intern for the DOJ in the Antitrust Division's Office of Decree Enforcement & Compliance. She now leverages her knowledge of both key regulators for firm clients.
Rita is an active member of the American Bar Association's Antitrust Law Section and regularly contributes to the Section's publications and programs. She is also fluent in Mandarin.
- JD, Indiana University Maurer School of Law - Order of Barristers
- BA, University of Virginia
- Women.Connected Board Member, 2023-Present
- Young Lawyer Representative, International Comments & Policy Committee, Antitrust Law Section, American Bar Association, 2021-Present
- Contributor, Antitrust Law Developments, Antitrust Law Section, American Bar Association, 2020, 2022
- District of Columbia