About Stéphane Bénouville
Avocat à la cour, Stéphane heads our litigation practice group and is a member of our global investigations practice.
He mainly represents our clients in relation to financial services and banking disputes as well as in the context of regulatory investigations and enforcement proceedings (especially before the sanctions commission of the Autorité des marchés financiers, France's stock market regulator) and white-collar crime (including bribery and corruption).
In addition, he has developed particularly strong experience of global investigations in a range of sectors including financial services, banking, technology, defence and automotive industries.
Stéphane also has extensive experience in a wide range of commercial and business law-related matters, shareholder disputes and post-acquisition litigation. He regularly represents companies in a wide range of industrial sectors in relation to internal investigations related to alleged fraud and corruption practices.
Stéphane is fluent in English and French.
- Advising EDF on: its acquisition of a majority stake in Areva NP’s business; and the governance aspects of the Hinkley Point C nuclear power project in Somerset, UK.
- Representing a leading French bank during an investigation by the Autorité des marchés financiers (AMF), France's stock market regulator, and potential subsequent enforcement proceedings in relation to potential market abuse(s) committed on the treasury bonds market.
- Representing three subsidiaries of a major financial brokerage firm before the AMF sanctions commission in the context of three separate sanction procedures relating to market manipulation, non-compliance with the regulation of financial markets and non-compliance with internal control procedures.
- Representing a US multinational in four cases where the French Minister seeks to have contractual clauses contained in the distribution agreements with French carriers be declared null and void on various grounds.
- Representing a French company in the energy sector during an AMF investigation concerning its financial communication.
- Representing a leading French agri-business in the course of an AMF investigation and potential subsequent enforcement proceedings in relation to alleged market abuse practices on the MATIF.
- Université Paris X Nanterre, France (business law)
- Admitted to the Paris bar