About Elisabeth Overland
Elisabeth is a counsel in Freshfields' London financial services regulatory group and her practice covers a wide range of financial services and regulatory matters.
Elisabeth advises investment banks, asset managers, exchanges, market infrastructure providers, private wealth advisers, sovereign wealth funds and industry groups and has extensive experience of advising clients on UK and EU regulatory reform and implementation, including cross-border impacts. Her recent work has included Brexit planning and implementation and advice on Covid-19 implications, MiFID II/MiFIR, market abuse (MAR/CSMAD), derivatives (EMIR) and recovery and resolution planning, as well as issues relating to the establishment and licensing of financial institutions, compliance with ongoing conduct of business and client money rules, market abuse, payment services, prime brokerage, custody rules and fiduciary duties.
Elisabeth is a member of the Freshfields Senior Women's Group Committee, which she co-chaired from 2013-2015.
Elisabeth speaks Norwegian and English.
- Advising the Bank of England on the design and implementation of the Covid Corporate Financing Facility (CCFF).
- Advising a leading private wealth manager on its Brexit planning and implementation.
- Advising several leading investment banks and other market participants on the implementation of MiFID II/MiFIR, including extra-territorial impacts.
- Advising a leading investment bank and a non-EU sovereign wealth fund on the implementation and impacts of the Market Abuse Regulation.
- Advising several leading investment banks on implementing changes to client assets and custody rules.
- Advising a global investment bank on the implementation of EMIR.
- Advising the Bank of England throughout the banking crisis, including on the Special Liquidity Scheme, the Discount Window Facility and the Asset Purchase Facility.
2002–2003 LPC BPP Law School, London (Distinction)
1999–2002 LLB City University , London (First)
1996–2002 Cand. Mag. University of Oslo
- Professional qualifications
Solicitor, England and Wales