About Kevin Whibley
Kevin focuses on contentious matters relating to insolvency and insurance.
Kevin focuses on contentious insurance and insolvency/restructuring matters.
He advises insurers on significant, complex, and multi-jurisdiction exposures. He works with clients’ senior legal and claims teams, as well as local coverage counsel, to develop and implement global strategy for legal and regulatory challenges.
He also advises advise debtors, creditors and insolvency practitioners on legal and regulatory issues concerning insolvent financial institutions, financial restructurings, and related commercial, legal and regulatory issues.
Kevin joined Freshfields in 2007 and is a member of the firm’s financial institutions disputes group.
Kevin’s recent experience includes advising:
- a global insurer on its global response to claims relating to COVID-19;
- a Lloyd’s syndicate on its multi-jurisdiction response to claims relating to Russia/Ukraine;
- the joint administrators of Elite Insurance Company Limited, an insolvent Gibraltar-based insurer which wrote general insurance business in several EU jurisdictions and the UK, on all matters relating to resolution of the company’s affairs;
- the Equitable Life on its ground-breaking transaction to transfer all of its business to another life-insurer and at the same time (and by scheme of arrangement) convert its with-profits business to unit-linked business and make various changes to policies; and
- a global bank in respect of two complex claims in the investment bank special administration of MF Global.
- London School of Economics and Political Science (LLM)
- University of Oxford (BA, Law)
- Solicitor-Advocate, Higher Courts Civil, England and Wales