About Koo Asakura
Koo is an associate in our antitrust, competition and trade group, based in the London office.
Koo advises on contentious and non-contentious EU, UK and multi-jurisdictional competition law matters, including merger control, foreign investment review, behavioural matters, compliance and litigation.
During his time at Freshfields, Koo has spent time on secondment with Airbnb and the firm's Brussels office.
- Representing CK Hutchison in its successful appeal to the General Court of the European Union annulling the European Commission's prohibition of the proposed acquisition of Telefonica UK (O2).
- Advising Flutter Entertainment (owner of the Paddy Power and Betfair brands) on its cross-border £10bn combination with The Stars Group (owner of the Sky Betting and Gaming and PokerStars brands) to create a leading global sports betting and gaming business – including obtaining unconditional Phase 1 clearance from the UK’s Competition and Markets Authority and coordinating the global merger control and foreign investment filings effort.
- Advising Rentokil on its completed acquisition of Mitie Pest Control, cleared subject to remedies by the Competition and Markets Authority at Phase 1.
- Advising Siemens on the EU merger control proceedings of the proposed transformative combination of Siemens' and Alstom's mobility businesses, which is now widely recognised as a landmark case for the European merger control regime.
- BPP Law School (Legal Practice Course)
- University of Dundee (LLB)
- Solicitor, England and Wales