About Dr. Helmut Bergmann
Helmut is a partner in the Firm’s Antitrust, Competition and Trade Group. He specialises in German, European and international competition law, with a special focus on mergers, cartels, litigation and dominance cases.
With arguably one of the most international client bases in the German antitrust arena, Helmut has had more than his fair share of international mandates, with experience in the automotive, chemicals, consumer products, energy, financial services, healthcare and media sectors.
In the boardroom, he is respected and trusted, dealing comfortably with everyone from general counsel to the CEO. Helmut frequently speaks and writes on antitrust law topics.
Helmut used to serve in a number of management roles in the Firm, including as Managing Partner of the Berlin office, as Practice Group Leader for the Global Antitrust, Competition and Trade Group and, until November 2020, as Regional Managing Partner for Continental Europe.
He speaks German, English, French and Spanish.
- Representing ABB in leniency cases relating to gas-insulated switchgear and power transformers and on its acquisitions of Power One and of Thomas & Betts
- Advising AB InBev in the German beer cartel case, in an abuse case in front of the European Commission relating to parallel imports, on the acquisition of SAB Miller and on the sale of its Australian business to Asahi
- Advising Axel Springer on the sale of a number of newspapers and magazines to Funke Mediengruppe
- Advising Coty and JAB on their acquisition of the beauty business of Procter & Gamble
- Advising JAB on the creation of Jacobs Dow Egberts together with Mondelez
- Advising Mars on its acquisitions of Wrigley, of Miracoli, of Procter & Gamble’s pet food business, as well as in cartel proceedings in relation to chocolate and pet food
- Advising LANXESS on the creation of a JV with Saudi Aramco
- Universities of Würzburg, Tübingen (Germany) and Geneva (Switzerland)
- Rechtsanwalt, Germany