About Michael Black
Michael is a corporate senior associate and a member of the firm’s financial institutions team.
Michael acts on public and private M&A, corporate re-organisations and other corporate advisory and transactional work for a range of listed and unlisted corporate clients.
During his career at Freshfields, Michael has been seconded to the financial institutions M&A advisory team in the London office of a leading international investment bank. He has also spent time on secondment in the firm’s Manchester and Moscow offices.
- Advising Saint-Gobain on the sale of all of its merchanting brands in the UK – including the builders and timber merchant Jewson – to the Stark group based on an enterprise value of €850 million
- Advising SSE on the £1.465bn sale of a 25% stake in its electricity transmission network business to Ontario Teachers’ Pension Plan
- Advising Euromoney on the c. £1.6 billion recommended offer from a consortium of Astorg and Epiris
- Advising E D & F Man on its $1.5 billion refinancing by way of an innovative restructuring plan
- Advising London Stock Exchange Group plc on a number of transactions, including its:
- €4.325 billion disposal of the Borsa Italiana Group
- acquisition of Refinitiv in an all-share transaction for a total enterprise value of $27 billion
- Advising Stanley, Black & Decker, Inc. on a number of transactions including its acquisition of Advanced Turf Technology and its disposal of PAC/GDX
- Advising Uber on its acquisition of HKTaxi
- Advising Network International plc in connection with its $288 million acquisition of the DPO Group
- Advising Aldermore on the £1.1 billion recommended offer from FirstRand*
*Advised while on secondment to leading international investment bank.
- Solicitor, England and Wales
- BA Law (Cambridge)