About Michael Black
Michael is a corporate associate in our global transactions group and a member of the firm’s financial institutions team.
Michael acts on domestic and cross-border mergers and acquisitions, corporate re-organisations and other corporate advisory and transactional work for a range of listed and unlisted corporate clients.
During his career at Freshfields, Michael has spent time on secondment to the financial institutions M&A advisory team in the London office of a leading international investment bank. He has also been seconded to the firm’s Manchester Hub, where he worked alongside its management and legal technology teams to develop and promote the firm's global legal services offering, and the firm's Moscow office.
- Advising London Stock Exchange Group plc on its announced acquisition of Refinitiv in an all-share transaction for a total enterprise value of $27bn
- Advising London Stock Exchange Group plc on its minority investment in UK fintech start-up Nivaura
- Advising London Stock Exchange Group plc on its share purchases in LCH Group in 2017 and 2018
- Advising Bertelsmann on the combination of its customer relationship management business with Saham's equivalent business
- Advising AIG Life on its acquisition of Ellipse, a specialist provider of group risk life protection in the UK, from Munich Re
- Advising Aldermore on the £1.1 billion recommended offer from FirstRand*
- Advising Marsh on its £295 million acquisition of the Bluefin Group from AXA
- Advising the National Bank of Greece on the €2.75 billion sale of its Turkish bank subsidiary, Finansbank, to Qatar National Bank
*Advised while on secondment to leading international investment bank.
- Solicitor, England and Wales
- BA Law (Cambridge)