About Alex Calloway
Alex advises a broad mix of multinational corporates, financial institutions and state-owned enterprises on complex and high value cross-border M&A deals, joint ventures and other corporate transactions.
He works across a wide range of sectors, including the energy and natural resources, pharmaceuticals and healthcare, consumer goods, and aerospace and defence sectors.
Alex is a member of Freshfields’ Africa group and, over the past decade, has worked on deals involving 37 countries across the continent. Recently, Alex was seconded to the Nairobi office of a leading pan-African law firm, where he worked on a number of market-leading private and public acquisitions throughout East Africa.
- AB InBev on its $120bn merger with SABMiller, the largest ever UK public takeover and the largest ever M&A transaction in South Africa.
- AB InBev on its disposal of SABMiller’s majority stake in Coca-Cola Beverages Africa for $3.15bn.
- Occidental Petroleum on the international aspects of its US$57bn acquisition of Anadarko, including on the contingent $8.8bn sale of Anadarko's African assets to Total.
- Total on:
- its acquisition of Maersk Oil for $7.45bn, settled in Total shares and assumed debt; and
- its acquisition of Chevron Denmark.
- Neptune Energy on its US$3.9bn acquisition of ENGIE E&P International and on its proposed acquisition of Edison’s UK and Norwegian North Sea assets from Energean
- Novartis on:
- the spin-off of its Alcon division;
- its proposed acquisition of GSK's cephalosporin business; and
- its portfolio transformation, involving three inter-conditional transactions with a total value of more than $30 billion: the acquisition of oncology products from GSK; the formation of a consumer healthcare joint venture with GSK; and the sale to GSK of the Novartis vaccines division (excluding flu).
- Aon on its proposed $30bn merger with Willis Towers Watson.
- JAB on its acquisition of Pret A Manger.
- Red and White Securities Limited on the sale of its shares in Arsenal Holdings PLC to KSE, UK, Inc., an entity wholly owned by Stanley Kroenke.
- ArcLight Capital Partners on the $900m acquisition of the SIRGES gas pipeline (67 per cent interest), the St Fergus Gas Terminal and the FUKA natural gas pipeline from Total.
- AstraZeneca on its defence of Pfizer’s approaches.
- Rolls-Royce on the sale of its oil and gas/energy gas turbine business to Siemens for £1bn.
- Rolls-Royce on a number of other transactions in the aerospace and defence sectors.
- A multinational consumer goods company on the sale of a porfolio of consumer products.
- A leading media firm on its acquisition of an interest in a venture capital backed telecommunications start-up company.
- On the settlement between the Karachaganak consortium (BG, Eni, Chevron and LUKoil) and the Republic of Kazakhstan, including the $3bn transfer of 10 per cent of the consortium’s upstream interests to KazMunayGas.