About Dr. Patrick Cichy
Patrick is a partner in our global transaction practice and Co-Head of our Global Markets Group.
Since joining the firm, he has worked across many industries with a particular focus on financial institutions.
Patrick is often recommended for financial institutions and corporate/M&A advice and has built long-term relationships with clients for whom he has acted.
He is very comfortable with complex, high-profile transactions. His MBA enables him to focus on and add value to the commercial aspects of each deal, while his nine-month secondment to Deutsche Bank’s M&A department in New York and his long-term advice in particular for Hamburg Commercial Bank mean Patrick understands the workings of large financial institutions. He also has good knowledge of the renewable energy and infrastructure/transport sectors. Often clients from the Nordics seek his legal advice.
Patrick is the co-head of our Global Markets Group and our lead country partner for the Nordics, the author of various publications and a regular speaker at conferences.
A native German speaker, Patrick also speaks English and French.
- Advising Hamburg Commercial Bank (ex HSH Nordbank) since 2009 on several large projects, including its restructuring, EU subsidy proceedings, recovery and resolution planning, AQR/stress test, sale of a €5bn non-performing shipping portfolio to a state-owned bad bank, sale of further several billion euro non-performing loan portfolios to the market as well as the bank's sale to Cerberus, JC Flowers, Goldentree, Centaurus and Bawag.
- Advising NORD/LB on its restructuring.
- Advising Deutsche Bank on strategic M&A, among others on the considered takeover of Commerzbank AG, the merger of Postbank AG and the sale of BHF-BANK.
- Advising Deutsche Post on the sale of Deutsche Postbank to Deutsche Bank.
- Advising the City of Hamburg on the partial privatisation of the Port of Hamburg (trade sale and IPO). The IPO included an innovative, award-winning tracking stock structure, the first of its kind for a German listed company.
- Advising the German organizing committee in connection with the Special Olympics World Games in Berlin 2023 (Pro Bono).
- Universities of Freiburg, Germany, and Grenoble, France (law)
- University of Freiburg, Germany (doctorate in law and lecturer in law)
- University of Wales, UK (Master of Business Administration, MBA)
- Rechtsanwalt, Germany