About Nicolas Cordoba
Nicolás Córdoba is an associate in our international arbitration group, based in Washington, DC.
Nicolás has acted in international commercial and investor-state arbitrations, focusing on mining and natural resources disputes under ICSID and ICC rules. Nicolás is also advising a group of companies in a threatened class action before the courts of England and Wales.
Prior to joining Freshfields, Nicolás worked as an international affairs adviser and as an associate in a GAR100 law firm in Bogotá.
His experience also includes serving as an intern at the International Centre for Settlement of Investment Disputes (Washington) and the International Tribunal for the Law of the Sea (Hamburg). Nicolás also served as an assistant professor on Commercial Law at the Universidad del Rosario in Bogotá.
Nicolás speaks Spanish and English.
- Representing Eco Oro Minerals Corp. in an ICSID arbitration against Colombia under the Canada-Colombia Free Trade Agreement concerning adverse measures affecting its investment in a gold mining concession, and involving complex administrative and international law issues.
- Representing Glencore International A.G., Prodeco C.I. and Puerto Nuevo S.A. in an ICSID arbitration against Colombia under the Swiss-Colombia BIT concerning adverse measures affecting its investment in the mining and transport sector.
- Representing South32 Investments Limited in an ICSID arbitration against Colombia under the UK-Colombia BIT concerning adverse measures affecting its investment in the mining sector.
- Representing two mining companies in an ICC arbitration against a Latin American State concerning their interests in several mining contracts adversely affected by the actions of the State.
- Advising three international mining companies and their local joint ventures in potential class action litigation before the High Courts of England and Wales stemming out from alleged breaches of environmental and social obligations under Colombian law.
- LL.M. (Honors), International Legal Studies, Georgetown University Law Center.
- Masters (Honors), International Law and International Relations, Universidad Complutense de Madrid, Spain
- JD (Abogado), Universidad del Rosario, Colombia.
- Admitted as an attorney in Colombia.
Admitted as a Special Legal Consultant in the District of Columbia (2020)