About Brendan Counihan
Brendan is an associate in our tax practice and is based in Washington, DC.
He has advised clients on the tax aspects of both domestic and cross-border transactions. His work has included counseling clients during mergers and acquisitions, financings, debt, equity, and derivative offerings, spin-offs, collateralized loan obligations, and fund formations. He has experience advising clients on the tax aspects of their corporations, partnerships, REITs, RICs, SPACs, trusts, and tax-exempt organizations, among others.
In addition to his work for corporate clients, he has helped high net worth individuals with wealth management and estate planning.
Prior to joining Freshfields, Brendan was a judicial intern for the Honorable C. Darnell Jones II in the Eastern District Of Pennsylvania. He is also fluent in Spanish.
- Blackstone portfolio company, Schenck Process Group, on the sale of its food and performance materials business to Hillenbrand, Inc.
- Aristocrat Leisure on its $1.2 billion acquisition of Nasdaq-listed Neogames.
- Jungheinrich AG on its $375 million acquisition of Storage Solutions, Inc.
- London Stock Exchange Group on its acquisition of AcadiaSoft.
- Berkeley Lights on its acquisition of IsoPlexis.
- TriNet Group, Inc. on its $109 million modified Dutch auction tender offer.
- BP on its $4.1 billion take-private of Archaea Energy.
- University of Pennsylvania Law School, J.D., 2018
- Vassar College, B.A., Anthropology with a Correlate in Hispanic Studies, 2013