About Dr. Stephan Denk
Stephan leads the environment, products and regulatory group in Vienna. He is also the European co-ordinator of the firm’s global global sanctions and trade (GST) group.
Stephan specialises in the fields of regulatory-driven disputes, particularly in the finance, energy, environmental, healthcare and consumer-facing sectors. He is known to be one of the top constitutional litigators in Austria. In the field of public procurement law, he advises bidders and contracting authorities on high-end procurement processes, particularly in the infrastructure sector.
In his role as European c-ordinator of the firm’s global GST group, he advises on critical questions of international sanctions regulations and policies.
He is the author of more than 40 articles in the fields of public procurement, constitutional and environmental law.
He speaks German and English.
- Representing Bayerische Landesbank, UniCredit, Deutsche Bank et al in the appeal against the Austrian Act for the restructuring of the Hypo Alpe Adria Bank (HBInt) according to which obligations amounting to several billion euros, and collateral securitisation of these obligations, had been extinguished by the state.
- Representing the entire Austrian banking sector in an appeal against the early introduction and structure of the capital gains withholding tax in Austria.
- Advising Fresenius Medical Care and Bristol Myers-Squibb in high-end tender procedures.
- Advising Japan Tobacco International on all aspect of the regulatory framework for the tobacco industry in Austria and central and eastern Europe.
- Advising United Parcel Services (UPS) in all related administrative law procedures, including regulatory proceedings under the Postal Market Act.
- Universities of Graz and Vienna, Austria
- Austrian Bar Association
- Editorial board of the Austrian Journal for Public Procurement Law (ZVB)
- Lecturer at the University of Vienna and the Vienna University for Economics and Business, Austria