About Alexander Doorman
Alexander specialises in cross-border public and private M&A, private equity transactions and joint ventures.
He joined Freshfields in 2002 and became partner in 2011.
Between 2013 and 2016 Alexander was based in our Beijing office, from where he advised Chinese clients on their investments into the rest of the world. This has given him in-depth knowledge of dealing with Chinese businesses – also very helpful when acting for non-Chinese clients looking to sell assets to Chinese buyers.
Alexander’s business degree and some experience in investment banking means he also has a thorough understanding of the financial and commercial aspects of transactions. This helps him provide legal advice that is sound, timely and to-the-point.
Along with his native Dutch, Alexander speaks English, German and basic Chinese.
- Advising Marubeni, the Japanese integrated trading and investment business conglomerate, on the acquisition of Orffa, a global business active in the animal feed additives industry.
- Advising Barloworld, the South Africa-based provider of integrated rental services, fleet management, product support and logistics solutions, on the creation of a 50/50 joint venture with BayWa, which will hold and operate Barloworld’s current agriculture and materials handling operations in southern Africa.
- Advising PGGM, the Dutch pension operator and asset manager, on the establishment of a joint venture with American Tower Corporation that focuses on telecommunications real estate investment opportunities in certain European countries, including Germany and France.
- Advising a number of Chinese clients, including China Minsheng Investments, HNA, Shanghai Feilo Acoustics and HOPU, on their investments outside China.
- Advising a number of clients, including UPS and Advent, on public offers for target companies listed in the Netherlands.
- University of Groningen, the Netherlands (master degree in law, with specialisations in corporate and criminal law; master degree in business, with a specialisation in finance)
- Advocaat, the Netherlands