About John Fordham
John specialises in general commercial property work, with a particular emphasis on complex London development projects.
As investors continue to focus on their exposure to prime UK real estate, John has advised on portfolio acquisitions, developments, joint ventures, and sales and leasebacks. As well as institutional investors and developers, clients come from the banking, transport, brewing and retailing sectors.
He is a calm, pragmatic lawyer whose focus is always on driving the deal through, whatever the circumstances. He acts for both landlord and tenant, knows what is important to both sides in a transaction, and draws on that understanding to avoid potential stumbling blocks during negotiations.
John’s languages are English, French and German.
- Advising Land Securities on the redevelopment of its land holdings in Victoria, in particular the new Nova office, retail and residential scheme bounded by Victoria Street, Buckingham Palace Road and Bressenden Place, including negotiations with Transport for London in connection with VSU, the upgrade of the Victoria Line Underground Station at Victoria, and with Victoria Palace Theatre, home of Billy Elliott and Hamilton, in connection with the redevelopment and extension of that property.
- Advising Land Securities on the acquisition of the existing leasehold interest, together with development rights and an option to draw down a new 250-year lease, alongside a co-investment agreement with Transport for London in respect of a 1.9 acre site at 21 Moorfields, above and adjacent to the Crossrail Station at Moorgate in central London.
- Advising Brookfield Office Properties on the acquisition of over 75 per cent of Hammerson’s London office portfolio of multi-tenanted office properties, development sites and joint venture interests, for £518m.
- Advising Cinven and Spire Healthcare group on the sale and leaseback of 12 of its 38 hospitals across the UK to a consortium of investors, raising around £700m.
- Sidney Sussex College, University of Cambridge, UK (MA (hons))