About Richard Hart
Richard specialises in structured finance transactions, and in particular structured products and derivatives, usually with a cross-border focus.
He acts for financial institutions and end-users, as well as investment managers and sovereign entities. He has a wide experience of complex structured equity transactions, including in emerging markets. Richard has been involved with structuring hedging solutions for a wide variety of financing, including securitisations, leverage buyouts and project financings. Recently, Richard has also been heavily involved in advising on the impact of recent new regulations on the derivatives markets.
- Advising HSBC and Barclays as lenders to Global City Theatres on the £470m margin lending transaction which allowed GCT to subscribe for Cineworld's £1.7bn rights issue.
- Advising a major US bank on the monetisation using a variable prepaid forward structure of a strategic stake in a European technology stock.
- Advising a major US bank on one of the first margin financings of a Turkish stock under Turkey's new capital markets law.
- Advising a major US bank on the syndication of its margin financing book, using both funded and unfunded structures to achieve regulatory capital efficiencies.
- Advising Geely on its €3.25bn acquisition of a 8.2% share capital holding and 15.6% voting rights in AB Volvo from Cevian Capital.
- Advising the Nestlé group on all aspects of its hedging arrangements (including for commodities and pension funds), including the worldwide reorganisation of its hedging book to use a centralised treasury entity, and the impact of EMIR and Dodd-Frank.
2017 - present Partner, Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer
2011 - 2017 Senior Associate, Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer
2006 - 2011 Associate, Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer
2004 - 2006 Trainee, Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer
2002 - 2004 BBP Law School, London
1998 - 2001 Cambridge University (Christ's College), BA (History)