About Carl Hotton
Carl is a senior associate in our corporate financial institutions group.
Carl has varied M&A experience across the financial services sector, with a particular focus on corporate transactions in the global insurance sector and fintech transactions. Carl regularly advises on domestic and cross-border M&A, strategic investments, business transfers, group re-organisations, capital raisings and other corporate advisory and transactional matters for some of the largest banks, insurers, asset and wealth managers, fintechs and financial sponsors.
- Advising JP Morgan on its proposed acquisition of Global Shares, a fintech company and a leading provider of share plan management software
- Advising JP Morgan on its strategic investment in Viva Wallet, a leading European cloud-based payments fintech company
- Advising JP Morgan on its acquisition of Nutmeg Saving and Investment, the UK’s largest digital wealth manager.
- Advising Uber on a cross-border M&A transaction and investment in Grupo Moove.
- Advising The Equitable Life on its complex restructuring and sale to Utmost Life and Pensions, including the solvent scheme of arrangement and insurance business transfer scheme.
- Advising Canopius on several recent transactions including: (i) raising in excess of $450m of new equity; (ii) AmTrust at Lloyd’s acquisition; and (iii) the inward investment by, and strategic partnership with, Samsung.
- Advising Lloyd’s of London on its market-wide Brexit restructuring and the transfer of its European business to Lloyd’s Europe via one of the largest Part VII transfers ever undertaken.
- Advising Centerbridge Partners on its acquisition of Canopius, a Lloyd’s of London insurance business, from Sompo Japan for $952m.
- Advising ReAssure Group on its acquisition of the heritage life and pensions division from Quilter plc for £425m.
- Advising AIG on its Brexit restructuring and related cross-border merger and Part VII transfers in respect of its European operations.
- Advising Swiss Re on its acquisition of the mature savings business from Legal & General for £650m.
- Advising AIG Life on its acquisition of Ellipse from Munich Re.
- Advising The Hartford Financial Services Group on the sale of its UK property and casualty run-off insurance subsidiaries, with gross reserves exceeding $650m, to Catalina Holdings.
- Advising AIG on the sale of its interest in Ascot, a Lloyd's platform, to Canada Pension Plan Investment Board for a total transaction value of $1.1bn.
- Advising several non-bank lender clients in relation to distressed M&A matters, including sales of loan books.
- University of Southampton, UK (law, LLB)
- Solicitor, England and Wales
- British Insurance Lawyers Association