About Dietmar Knopp
Dietmar specialises in legal issues relating to medical preparations, medical devices, food production and distribution, and product liability. He has been involved in many of the most high-profile domestic and cross-border product liability cases in memory, with clients especially valuing his strategic far-sightedness and unrivalled sector knowledge and pragmatism.
Dietmaris best known for his work in product liability, specifically in the highly regulated food, chemicals and pharmaceutical/medical devices industries. His areas of practice include basically all types of dispute resolution procedures in civil law. He also advises on regulatory and administrative law.
Dietmar structures and co-ordinates expert defence teams, and has shown time and again that he keeps his eye on the commercial impact of a case’s likely outcome; he instinctively knows when to structure a settlement and when to fight on.
He speaks German, English and French.
- Advising and representing the German Blood Fractionating Industry in disputes relating to damage claims based on viral contamination of blood products.
- Representing a major coatings company in a pan-European dispute concerning damage claims for allegedly defective coatings.
- Representing an international chemical company in a multi-jurisdictional dispute in connection with contaminated bulkware for cosmetic products and the respective EU law implications.
- Advising a major German insurer in high-profile cross-border product liability litigation.
- Advising and representing pharmaceutical and life science companies in product regulatory, promotional and unfair competition issues.
- University of Bonn, Germany
- Appellate Court, Cologne, Germany
- Legal Services, EU Commission
- Member of the International Association of Defense Counsel (IADC)
- Member of the German Food Law Associations (BLL, WGL)
- Member of the German Administrative Law Association
- Member of the American Bar Association
- Member of the German-American Lawyers Association
- Frequent lecturer to industry and insurance representatives on product liability law in Germany and the EU, and to lawyers on the implementation of EU directives.