About Matthias Koch
Matthias is co-leading the Freshfields Digitization Initiative, Freshfields Digital, a project comprising a know-how platform and a team of legal experts that provide cutting edge solutions on all legal aspects of the digitization of industries.
Matthias' work covers litigation, transactional and advisory matters for clients active in the technology and consumer goods sectors.
He deals with all aspects of intellectual property and information technology on a global level, with a regional focus on the European economies.
His work in court, in transactions and advisory means that he has developed a holistic and international view on all aspects of intellectual property rights and their ever increasing importance in the digitisation of industries.
Matthias speaks English and French, along with his native German.
- Advising VMware, a subsidiary of Dell Computers and a world-leading provider of virtualization software, in a landmark case regarding ownership of LINUX code vs. proprietary code and related interface issues.
- Advising a world-leading technology and consumer goods company in major litigation against a competitor regarding ownership of IP in, among others things, graphical user interfaces.
- Advising a world-leading provider of pipeline inspection services on the potential theft of software and know-how by a competitor by means of IT-systems.
- Universities of Bonn and Frankfurt, Germany
- International Trademark Association (INTA)
- International Association for the Protection of Intellectual Property (AIPPI)
- Association for Industrial Property Rights and Copyright (Vereinigung für gewerblichen Rechtsschutz und Urheberrecht)
- Scholarship of Studienstiftung des deutschen Volkes