About Danny Li
Danny Li is a Counsel in our Global Transactions team.
He has over a decade of experience advising the world’s leading financial sponsors and multinational corporations on their M&A, PE, JV and growth capital transactions across Asia-Pacific.
His recognitions include being named a ‘Rising Star’ in the Hong Kong category in Euromoney’s 'Expert Guide' 2022 and in the Corporate / M&A and Hong Kong categories for the IFLR 2021 Rising Star Awards (Asia-Pacific).
Danny recently spent time on client secondment at CPP Investments (CPPIB), covering their APAC Managing Director (Legal) during 2020 and 2021. He is also part of our fintech / digital team in Asia.
Selected highlights of Danny's recent experience include advising:
- Carlyle on its acquisition of a majority stake in VLCC, a beauty and wellness solutions business with operations across India and the Middle East
- CPP Investments (CPPIB) on various transactions across Asia-Pacific, including its investments in Flipkart, Accion Labs, DailyHunt, Eruditus Learning, Acko Tech and Zenex Animal Health
- CVC Capital Partners on its acquisition of a majority stake in Phuong Chau, an operator of maternal and infant care hospitals in Vietnam
- Affinity Equity Partners on its sale of Trimco Group to Brookfield Asset Management (as well as the initial US$520m leveraged buy-out from Partners Group in 2016)
- Permira on its US$2.76bn sale of Tricor to Baring Private Equity Asia (as well as the initial leveraged buy-out from BEA / NWS in 2016 and subsequent bolt-on of NZGT Holdings in 2022)
- Blackstone on various transactions, including its acquisition of the Anantara Maldives Resort & Spa and its US$525m privatization and delisting of SGX-listed Soilbuild Business Space REIT
- Citigroup as financial adviser to Boston Scientific in its partial offer for a controlling stake in Acotec Scientific (HKSE: 6669)
- ESR Cayman on its US$5.2bn acquisition of ARA Asset Management
- Danone on its negotiated exit from a joint venture with COFCO Corporation and Arla Foods
- APG on its cornerstone investment in Monde Nissin Corporation, a Philippines F&B company
- Alibaba on a US$3bn+ series-round financing for Ele.me (饿了么) and Koubei (口碑), raising funds from Alibaba, SoftBank Vision Fund and other third party investors
- PepsiCo on its HK$1bn acquisition of a minority stake in HKSE-listed Natural Food International Holdings (1837.HK)
- a US Fortune 500 tech company on its ‘acquihire’ of an augmented-reality business and software engineering team in the Asia-Pacific region
- InterContinental Hotels on its acquisition of 51% of the Regent Hotels brand and related assets from Formosa International Hotels, along with the up-branding of the InterContinental Hong Kong hotel -- HICAP 'Deal of the Year (M&A)' 2018
- Prudential on its sale of Prudential Vietnam Finance, a Vietnam-based consumer finance business, to Shinhan Financial Group
- CK Asset Holdings (as a member of a consortium) on the proposed US$9.7bn take-private of ASX-listed APA Group
- Hutchison Telecoms on its US$1.86bn sale of HGC, a fixed line telecommunications business, to I Squared Capital -- Asian Legal Business' M&A Deal of the Year 2018, FinanceAsia's 'Hong Kong Deal of the Year' 2017
- Global Brands on its US$1.38bn sale of a US consumer brand licensing business to Centric Brands
- Hong Leong Group on the proposed US$1.6bn privatisation of HKSE-listed Guoco Group (0053.HK)
- Wharf Holdings on its US$1.2bn auction sale of Wharf T&T to TPG / MBK -- IFLR Asia's 'Private Equity Deal of the Year' 2017
- Tai Ping Carpets on its US$94m sale of a global commercial carpets business to Thailand Carpet Manufacturing Company Limited
- HOPU, Temasek, International Finance Corporation and Standard Chartered Private Equity (as members of a consortium) on their US$488m co-investment with COFCO into Noble Agri
- Bachelor of Commerce / Bachelor of Laws (First Class Honours) – Monash University
- Qualified as a solicitor in Hong Kong and Australia