About Elise Lopez
Elise specializes in representing companies, officers, and directors in shareholder disputes, internal and regulatory investigations, and business litigation.
Elise defends clients in complex, high-stakes shareholder litigation. Her experience includes deal litigation in the Court of Chancery, as well as the entire spectrum of shareholder litigation, including securities class actions, derivative actions, and books and records actions in federal and state courts. Elise has focused on increasing binding state court precedent, for example by litigating the validity of federal forum selection clauses in corporate charters and bylaws.
Before joining Freshfields, Elise was an associate in the Silicon Valley office of Wilson Sonsini Goodrich & Rosati. During law school, she served as a submissions editor for the Columbia Journal of Race & Law and has worked to promote diversity and representation in the legal profession by mentoring law students and junior attorneys.
Elise is also devoted to providing pro bono legal counsel to clients from underserved communities. She has successfully advocated on behalf of asylum seekers, conservatorship petitioners, and victims of unfair and deceptive consumer practices.
- Social media and technology:
- Defended Snap and its officers and directors in securities class actions and shareholder derivative lawsuits in federal and state courts in connection with Snap’s initial public offering.
- Defended A10 Networks and its officers and directors in securities and derivative litigation and a regulatory investigation in connection with a restatement, obtaining dismissal of all matters.
- Deal litigation:
- Represented Forescout Technologies, Inc. in expedited M&A litigation before the Delaware Court of Chancery regarding a merger agreement with Advent International Corporation.
- Life sciences:
- Defended Menlo Therapeutics Inc. in securities class action in connection with its initial public offering.
- Obtained dismissal in favor of Balt International, S.A.S., a pharmaceutical company headquartered in France, in M&A litigation related to its U.S. based wholly owned subsidiary Balt USA LLC.
- J.D., Columbia Law School
Harlan Fiske Stone Scholar
- Latino Law Students' Association Moot Court
- Immigrants' Rights Clinic
- Empowering Women of Color, President
- Submissions Editor, Columbia Journal of Race & Law
- B.A., Psychology, Stanford University
- Research Fellow, Stanford Department of Psychology
- Teaching Assistant to Professor Jeanne Tsai