About Laura Lozano
Laura specialises on commercial and investment arbitration. She is a member of our international arbitration group and our Global Projects Disputes Practice in Continental Europe.
She has experience representing investors in disputes under investment treaties across a variety of sectors, including gas, electricity, hydrocarbons, banking and financial services, telecommunications, and mining, under the ICSID, UNCITRAL, ICC and DIAC rules. Her practice also includes acting for sovereign states in international arbitration proceedings.
Laura speaks Spanish, English and has a working knowledge of French.
- Representing a Mexican investor against a European State in a claim related to treaty breaches arising from changes in the renewal energy feed-in tariff regime;
- Representing a major Spanish bank in an arbitration brought against a Latin American State pursuant to ICSID Additional Facility rules;
- Representing the Cuban national telephone company Empresa de Telecomunicaciones de Cuba (ETECSA) on the annulment proceedings – and potentially the enforcement of the award in France – initiated by System One World Communications Iberia to set aside an ICC award favourable to our client. Previously representing ETECSA on the successful obtention of a favourable monetary award in its ICC arbitration against System One World Communications Iberia in relation the breach of a traffic and roaming services agreement, and also recognition in Spain of the ICC award (exequatur) was obtained;
- Representing a Danish industrial group on the consequences in Spain of an arbitral decision adopted in Denmark and the effects in Spain of a restrictive covenant under a Danish contract; and
- Representing a large international bank in International Chamber of Commerce arbitral proceeding involving claims for indemnities and warranties.
- Double degree in Law and Business Administration (E-3) from Universidad Pontificia de Comillas (ICADE).
- LL.M. in Dispute Resolution with a focus on International Arbitration, from Pepperdine University Law School of Law (Los Angeles, the United States).
- LL.M. (Distinction) in Energy and Natural Resources Law from Queen Mary University of London, the United Kingdom.
Memberships and additional responsibilities
- She is a member of the Global Projects Disputes Practice (GPDP).
- ICDR Y&I Global Advisor.
- Member of the following institutions: Young ICCA, Club Español del Arbitraje (Spanish arbitration club) and Young International Arbitration Group of the London Court of International Arbitration.
- One of the Editors of the Young ICCA Blog.
- She has acted as administrative secretary to ICC and CAM arbitral tribunals.
- She has acted as a mediator before the Small Claims Court of Los Angeles (United States).
- She has numerous publications in international arbitration and has been invited as guest speakers in different international arbitration conferences.