About Oliver Marsden
Oliver is a specialist in international arbitration. He advises and represents companies and state governments in arbitrations under commercial contracts and investment treaties and related court proceedings.
Oliver has experience across a broad range of sectors: energy (including renewables), banking/finance, pharma/biosciences, defence/aerospace, industrials, entertainment, insurance and healthcare. In particular, he has extensive experience of post-M&A and tax-related disputes. He conducts advocacy before arbitral tribunals and in the English courts, where he holds higher rights of audience.
Oliver is recognised by The Legal 500 as a "Next Generation Partner“ and included in The Legal 500’s UK “Arbitration
Powerlist”. He is also recognised as a “Future Leader” in Who’s Who Legal: Arbitration.
- Representing an international energy company in three ICC arbitrations against a state government.
- Representing a leading solar energy company in an LCIA arbitration against a construction company relating to a dispute under a supply agreement.
- Representing an international mining company in relation to the enforcement of an arbitral award in the UK.
- Representing a leading biosciences company in an ICC arbitration against another biosciences company relating to a licensing dispute.
- Representing a leading global financial investor in an LCIA arbitration relating to a dispute under a financial instrument.
- Representing a leading entertainment company in an LCIA arbitration arising out of the cancellation of a joint venture project.
- Representing a leading fashion house in an 'ad hoc' London-seat arbitration against a distributor.
- Representing a Caribbean state entity in parallel ICC and UNCITRAL arbitrations relating to supply disputes under several agreements.
- Representing a South-East Asian state in an investment treaty arbitration against a dual-national investor.
- Representing an energy supermajor in an UNCITRAL arbitration arising out of a tax stability agreement with a state government.
- Representing an international energy company in an ICSID arbitration arising out of a production sharing agreement with a state government.
- Representing a private equity group in an LCIA arbitration relating to warranty claims under a share purchase agreement.
- Representing another private equity group in an HKIAC arbitration relating to a post-M&A dispute.
- Representing a major European bank in an ICC arbitration arising out of a corporate acquisition.
- Representing an international financial institution in: (i) an expedited LCIA arbitration arising out of a letter of credit dispute with a Middle Eastern trading group; and (ii) an ICC arbitration arising out of a joint venture for the development of a hydroelectric power plant.
- Representing an FX currency management boutique in an LCIA arbitration arising out of a joint venture with an international bank.
- Representing a satellite service provider in an LCIA arbitration against a satellite network operator relating to several long-term distribution agreements between the parties.
- Representing a private equity group in expedited expert determination proceedings before a KC against a multinational conglomerate relating to claims under an SPA.
- Representing an industrials company in expert determination proceedings against another industrials company relating to completion accounts under an SPA.
MA (Hons), Oriel College, Oxford (Classics)
Solicitor-advocate (higher courts – civil)