About Oliver Marsden
Oliver is a specialist in international arbitration and has a broad practice advising and representing corporates and state governments in disputes under commercial contracts and investment treaties.
He has extensive experience of post-M&A, joint venture and tax-related disputes, and has developed particular expertise in the energy, private equity, finance, pharma/biosciences and satellite communications sectors. He has appeared as oral advocate before arbitral tribunals and in the English courts, where he holds higher rights of audience.
His recent publications include the “Arbitration and ADR” volume of the Encyclopaedia of Forms and Precedents, which contains a new commentary on the Arbitration Act 1996 (the legislation that governs London-seated arbitrations). He has been identified by The Legal 500 as a "Next Generation Partner" and by Who’s Who Legal as a “Future Leader” in the field in its 2018, 2019 and 2021 directories.
- Representing a Caribbean state entity in parallel ICC and UNCITRAL arbitrations relating to supply disputes under several gas sales agreements.
- Representing a South-East Asian state in an investment treaty arbitration against a dual-national investor.
- Representing an oil and gas supermajor in an UNCITRAL arbitration arising out of a tax stability agreement with a state government.
- Representing an international oil and gas company in an ICSID arbitration arising out of a production sharing agreement with a state government.
- Representing an international mining corporation in: (i) an ICC arbitration arising out of a coal offtake agreement; and (ii) proceedings in the English courts to enforce an LCIA award.
- Representing a private equity group in an LCIA arbitration relating to warranty claims under a share purchase agreement.
- Representing another private equity group in an HKIAC arbitration relating to a post-M&A dispute.
- Representing another private equity group in expedited expert determination proceedings before a QC against a multinational conglomerate.
- Representing a large Dutch bank in an ICC arbitration arising out of a corporate acquisition.
- Representing an international financial institution in: (i) an expedited LCIA arbitration arising out of a letter of credit dispute with a Middle Eastern trading group; and (ii) an ICC arbitration arising out of a joint venture for the development of a hydroelectric power plant.
- Representing an FX currency management boutique in an LCIA arbitration arising out of a joint venture with an international bank.
- Representing a satellite service provider in an LCIA arbitration against a satellite network operator relating to several long-term distribution agreements between the parties.
Oriel College, Oxford (Classics)
Solicitor-advocate (higher courts – civil)
- LCIA Young International Arbitration Group
- ICC Young Arbitrators Forum
- ICDR Young & International