About Thorsten Matthies
Thorsten represents clients in all areas of business and commercial law before German civil courts as well as in national and international arbitration proceedings. He has a particular focus on antitrust-litigation.
Thorsten is specialized in defending clients in and out-of-court against cartel damage claims. He has been involved in cartel cases across a variety of industry sectors including trucks, various automotive supplies, rail tracks and chipboard. His expertise includes the strategic defense against international mass claims as well as negotiating and drafting tailor-made settlements. He is a member of our global antitrust litigation group and spent time in our Washington DC office on secondment.
He speaks English and German.
- Defending clients in and out of court against cartel damages claims following decisions by the European Commission and the German Federal Cartel Office in the areas of car parts, trucks, rail track and chipboard.
- Defending a German pharmaceutical manufacturer in ICC arbitration proceedings under Swiss law against the US distributor of certain pharmaceuticals claiming damages amounting to $228m due to an alleged breach of contract.
- Representing a major European energy provider in DIS (the German institution of arbitration) proceedings relating to a joint venture involving claims for unjust enrichment and adaptation of contract (€250m).
- Representing a German gas trading company in ad-hoc arbitration proceedings against an industrial customer claiming repayment of gas prices due to an alleged violation of competition law.
- University of Bonn, Germany (law)
- Rechtsanwalt, Germany