About David Mendel
David advises clients on share-scheme arrangements for senior executives and employees, all aspects of employment law as well as corporate governance matters.
He regularly acts on some of the largest public M&A transactions, where he advises on the UK Takeover Code and how the deal may impact employees, and share options and awards. On international private M&A transactions, David specialises in business transfers, information and consultation obligations, and retention arrangements.
David also helps clients with sensitive employment law issues, such as senior executive appointments and terminations, employee investigations and redundancy exercises. He has acted on injunctions and claims for breach of contract in the High Court and unfair dismissal, whistleblowing and discrimination claims in the employment tribunal.
He has been recognised as a 'Star Associate' in Chambers and Partners, and has a keen interest in the impact of technology on employment law.
- Advising Comcast on its £30.6bn acquisition of Sky. Read more about the deal in our case study.
- Advising London Stock Exchange Group on the employment and incentives aspects of its proposed $28bn merger with Deutsche Börse; its acquisition of Refinitiv; its acquisition of Frank Russell Company (and the related rights issue).
- Advising SSE on the proposed spin off and merger of its retail business with nPower and subsequent sale of SSE's retail business to Ovo Energy.
- Advising Bank of America on its sale of MBNA to Lloyds Banking Group.
- Advising BG Group on its $70bn takeover by Royal Dutch Shell.
- Various employment disputes in the High Court, including securing an interim injunction against an employee who moved to a competitor and defending claims for breach of contract.
- Various employment tribunal litigation in relation to unfair dismissal, discrimination and whistleblowing.
- Advising the Shareholder Executive arm of the UK government on the restructuring of Royal Mail, including the transfer of shares to employees under bespoke UK legislation.
- Advising on a range of other public and private transactions including: the take private of Hogg Robinson by American Express Global Business Travel; the takeover of Jimmy Choo by Michael Kors; the merger of Xstrata and Glencore; and advising ABB on the sale of its powergrids business to Hitachi.
- BPP Law School, UK (legal practice course, distinction)
- New College, University of Oxford, UK (BA in jurisprudence, first class)
- Employment Lawyers’ Association
- SharePlan Lawyers