About Nathan J. Montalto
Nate is an associate in the firm’s securities & shareholder litigation practice, with a focus on state, federal and international pre- and post-closing merger and acquisition related appraisal, breach of fiduciary duty, contract and disclosure litigation, and federal and listing agency regulatory enforcement matters, including merger-related inquiries by FINRA. Nate also has worked to help clients resolve SEC enforcement actions.
Nate has experience managing all stages of private litigation and has served on two trial teams, including as the senior-most associate managing a large trial team that secured a complete victory for the client after an almost three-week bench trial, involving developing case and trial strategy, months of trial preparation work, and multiple rounds of briefing.
Prior to joining Freshfields, Nate was an associate in the New York office of another international law firm.
- A large conglomerate, in a non-U.S. appraisal action brought in connection with the acquisition of a non-U.S. entity, resulting in a complete victory for the client.
- A consulting firm and certain of its former directors in fiduciary duty and securities litigations brought in multiple state courts, including the Delaware Court of Chancery, and the Eastern District of Virginia relating to the merger that created that consulting firm.
- An entertainment business in earnings miss securities class actions and related shareholder derivative litigation in the Southern District of New York.
- Various companies responding to regulatory inquiries from the SEC and FINRA.
- Multiple investment management firms and other corporations in connection with federal investigations by the DOJ and SEC, in addition to parallel federal securities class actions.
- Numerous shareholder class actions challenging major M&A transactions, on behalf of both targets and acquirers, in the Delaware Court of Chancery, Federal Courts, and elsewhere.
- JD, University of Michigan Law School (2018)
- BA, Sarah Lawrence College (2015)
- State of New York
- Intern to the Hon. Frederic Block, U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York