About Takeshi Nakao
Takeshi is the managing partner of our Tokyo office and the head of our Japan practice. He specialises in cross-border M&A, private equity, joint ventures and general corporate matters.
Takeshi advises corporates on both outbound and inbound transactions. He has advised companies wanting to move into Europe, US, Asia and into countries as far flung as Africa.
He also has extensive experience advising on various antitrust law issues in relation to M&A activities, including merger-control filings and analysis, and various commercial arrangements.
His knowledge of Japanese law, whether or not it is used on a transaction, is a great comfort to his Japanese clients.
Takeshi is a lecturer at Hitotsubashi University School of Law, where he teaches on world business law.
Takeshi speaks Japanese and English.
- Advising Knorr-Bremse on its acquisition of Hitachi's integral power steering business for commercial vehicles in Japan and Thailand.
- Advising Ajinomoto, Japan's largest food company, on its $532m acquisition of a 33.33 per cent stake in Promasidor, a major seasonings and processed foods manufacturer that operates in 36 African countries. Read more about the deal in our case study.
- Advising Marubeni Corporation on its acquisition of a 60 per cent stake in Olympus Holding B.V. (“Orffa’’), the holding company of the Orffa group from management and ING Corporate Investments for an undisclosed amount.
- Advising Toray Industries Inc. in its US$519m acquisition of an approximately 28.03 per cent stake in Pacific Textiles Holdings Limited.
- Advising Asahi Holdings on its acquisition of Johnson Matthey Gold and Silver Refining Holdings, a UK holding company that owns 100 per cent of Johnson Matthey, a Canadian company, and Johnson Matthey Gold & Silver Refining, a Delaware company.
- Advising Kurita Water Industries on its acquisition of the water treatment and chemical production businesses of NYSE-listed Israel Chemicals, with assets in Germany, China, France, Italy, Israel and Sweden.
- Advising Lenovo Group on its joint venture with NEC to own and operate their respective personal computer businesses in Japan.
- Advising Japan Tobacco Group on its $5bn acquisition of the non-US operations of Reynolds American's Natural American Spirit business.
- University of Tokyo, Japan (LL.B.)
- New York University, US (LL.M.)
- Legal Research and Training Institute, Supreme Court of Japan
- Dai-ni Tokyo Bar Association
- Admitted to the New York Bar
- Admitted to practise as a Japanese bengoshi