About Simon Orton
Simon is a partner in our dispute resolution practice and a co-head of the firm's financial institutions group.
As a recent leader of Freshfield’s global financial institutions disputes group, he acts for retail and investment banks and other financial institutions in high-value (often multijurisdictional) litigation and internal or regulatory investigations, as well as enforcement action.
He works on high-profile matters, and his cases often involve complex financial products or markets, large scale retail scenarios, or governance, financial crime and other risk related issues.
Simon likes to work closely with clients facing acute problems to find the best route through their immediate issues and help them deal with the consequences. Typically, those consequences span a number of internal and external stakeholders – including senior management, regulators and customers.
- Advising significant global financial institutions on multijurisdictional investigations concerning activities in various trading businesses.
- Acting for a number of major financial institutions in cross-border litigation relating to the sale of structured products/trading in or close-outs of derivatives.
- Advising a significant financial institution on matters relating to the sale of interest rate hedging products to SME customers.
- Advising various financial institutions on matters relating to governance and the responsibilities of senior management.
- Advising financial institutions in matters relating to the prevention of financial crime.