About Simon Priddis
Simon is a partner in our UK antitrust, competition and trade practice.
He assists clients before EU and UK regulators and courts across the full range of domestic and European competition law, including merger control, Articles 101/102 and equivalent UK legislation, and cartel and market/sector investigations.
He provides strategic business advice to clients: including on transactions, (including mergers, acquisitions, disposals, joints ventures, carve-outs, licensing, etc); risk management strategies, (e.g. addressing upfront antitrust risks, investigations and litigation strategies); or counselling on discrete compliance challenges and execution of business strategy.
Simon represents clients across a wide range of sectors and industries, including financial services (stock exchanges, (re)insurance, banking and asset management), pharmaceutical and healthcare (R&D ventures, biotech, product development, distribution and specialist products), and telecoms, media and technology. He has extensive experience representing clients in front of the European Commission, UK Competition and Markets Authority, and other regulators.
His experience working for a UK regulator and in private practice in Belgium and the US give him a deep understanding of how to work with the regulators in a wide range of transactional and investigatory environments, and how to devise successful cross-border commercial strategies for clients.
A frequent speaker at international conferences on EU/UK competition matters, Simon has also authored a number of publications on competition issues.
- Advising the London Stock Exchange Group on its completed acquisition of Refinitiv, its proposed merger with Deutsche Börse, its acquisitions of Russell Group and LCH.Clearnet Group Ltd and its post-trade strategy generally.
- Advising AstraZeneca on various matters, including its completed acquisition of Alexion, its defence against Pfizer’s hostile approach and on its global alliances with Merck and Daiichi Sankyo in respective of certain immuno-oncology treatments.
- Advising JD Sports on its successful appeals in the Competition Appeal Tribunal against the CMA's decision to prohibit the completed acquisition of Footasylum and the imposition of a fine by the CMA for breach of a hold separate order.
- Advising Viagogo in relation to the remedies process and remedy negotiation with the CMA following the CMA's provisional decision finding Viagogo's acquisition of StubHub to raise serious competition concerns.
- Advising CVC on its investments into Premiership Rugby, PRO 14 and EPCR.
- Advising Starbucks on its global licensing deal with Nestle.
- Advising Compass Group on its completed acquisition of Fazer Food Services and successfully obtaining unconditional Phase 1 clearance.
- Advising Hellman & Friedman Advisors LLC on various matters, including its acquisition of Concardis Payment Group.
- Advising Betfair Plc on its merger with Paddy Power.
- Advising RELX on various data, platform and distribution rights transactions.
- Advising Global Media & Entertainment Group on various radio broadcasting transactions.
- Advising Spire Healthcare during an investigation into the private healthcare market, including successful judicial review of the competition regulator’s evidence disclosure, and on its acquisition of St Anthony’s Hospital, London.
- Advising Acadia Healthcare on its acquisition of Priory Group and on divestment remedies required to secure clearance.
- Advising Müller Wiseman Dairies on its proposed acquisition of certain dairy businesses from Dairy Crest.
- Advising a European travel operator on its defence of data access claims.
Downing College, University of Cambridge, UK