About Kara Reid
Kara is a senior associate in our antitrust, competition and trade practice, based in Washington, DC.
Kara has worked on multiple antitrust issues, with particular experience in antitrust analysis and merger review. She represents clients on a broad range of antitrust matters, including multijurisdictional merger control, mergers and acquisitions and civil antitrust litigation.
Prior to joining Freshfields, Kara oversaw antitrust merger investigations as a lead attorney in the FTC's Bureau of Competition where she represented the Commission in antitrust merger review processes across multiple industries including in matters relating to the technology, data, and oil and gas sectors.
Kara's experience includes advising:
- Maersk on the proposed $1bn sale of its refrigerated container business to China International Marine Containers;
- Aerojet Rocketdyne on its proposed $4.4bn acquisition by Lockheed Martin;
- London Stock Exchange Group on the US and global merger control aspects of its $27bn deal to acquire Refinitiv, which was allowed to close unconditionally in the US;
- Cengage in winning dismissal of class actions brought by textbook retailers and college students challenging Inclusive Access programs; and
- Cengage on its proposed merger with McGraw-Hill Education, which would have created the world’s largest higher education publisher.
- JD, Georgetown University Law Center
- BA, Public Policy & Communications, highest honors, University of North Carolina
- Member, American Bar Association, Antitrust Section
- Admitted to practice in the Commonwealth of Virginia and DC