About Alexander Rich
Alex is a senior associate in Freshfields' restructuring & insolvency team.
Based in New York, Alex counsels clients in a wide variety of complex insolvency situations across the globe and has extensive experience in the United States Bankruptcy Courts.
Alex's recent pro bono efforts include filing an amicus curiae brief on behalf of a group of law professors with the United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit in the matter of In re: Citibank August 11, 2020 Wire Transfers.
Alex’s recent Chapter 11 experience includes representing:
- Talen Energy Supply as special corporate and M&A counsel in Talen’s Chapter 11 cases in the Southern District of Texas;
- Revlon as special counsel in its Chapter 11 cases in the Southern District of New York;
- a national government as the largest creditor and shareholder of Scandinavian Airlines in its Chapter 11 cases in the Southern District of New York;
- SCR Sibelco NV as the largest shareholder of Covia Holdings Corporation in Covia’s Chapter 11 cases, including mounting a successful defense against an attempt by Covia’s Unsecured Creditors’ Committee to obtain standing to prosecute nearly $1 billion in alleged fraudulent transfer and related claims against Sibelco. Obtained full releases for Sibelco of these and other claims;
- Crédit Industriel et Commercial as a creditor in the Chapter 11 cases of Seadrill Limited in the Southern District of New York;
- the former directors and officers of a liquidating clothing wholesale and retail company, in connection with lawsuits brought by the litigation trustee appointed in the company’s Chapter 11 case;
- Barings LLC, in a successful attempt to appoint an examiner in the Chapter 11 case of Parker Drilling Company, and in a challenge to Parker Drilling’s proposed Chapter 11 plan of reorganization in the Southern District of Texas;
- Subsea 7, a leading global subsea operator, as a purchaser in a § 363 sale in the Chapter 11 cases of Toisa Limited in the Southern District of New York; and
- the majority shareholders of Nordic Aviation Capital DAC in NAC’s Chapter 11 cases in the Eastern District of Virginia.
Alex has extensive experience in Chapter 15 and other cross-border cases, including representing:
- the foreign representative of Reward Science and Technology Industry Group Company, Ltd. (PRC) in a first of its kind cross-border proceeding between China and the Southern District of New York;
- Nyrstar, a global multi-metals smelting and mining business, on its recapitalization and refinancing of $3bn of indebtedness; including representing the foreign representative of Nyrstar in a Chapter 15 process in the Southern District of New York that resulted in the US recognition of the Company’s UK Scheme of Arrangement;
- Malaysia Airlines on their global restructuring;
- Dubai Aerospace Enterprises as a creditor and lessor to Garuda Indonesia in Garuda’s PKPU insolvency proceeding in Jakarta;
- Airbus in connection with numerous restructuring and supply chain situations across the globe;
- The foreign representatives of Air Berlin (Germany) in their Chapter 15 case in the Southern District of New York;
- The foreign representatives of Limora Investments Limited (BVI) in their Chapter 15 case in the Southern District of New York;
- The foreign representatives of CAMAC International Limited (Cayman Islands) in their Chapter 15 case in the Southern District of New York; and
- Whirlpool Corporation in successful defense of a case initiated under Chapter 15 of the United States Bankruptcy Code seeking discovery from Whirlpool for use in an insolvency proceeding in Germany.
- JD, cum laude, University of Minnesota Law School
- BA, University of Minnesota, Twin Cities
- Admitted to practice in New York, and before the U.S. District Courts for the Eastern District of New York and Southern District of New York
- American Bankruptcy Institute
- Turnaround Management Association
- Law Clerk to United States Bankruptcy Judge Stuart M. Bernstein, Southern District of New York
- Law Clerk to United States Chief Bankruptcy Judge Kathleen H. Sanberg, District of Minnesota
- Law Clerk to United States Bankruptcy Judge Katherine A. Constantine, District of Minnesota