About Dr. Hans-Patrick Schroeder
Patrick specialises in arbitration, corporate litigation and compliance follow-on litigation. He represents clients in high-stakes disputes in various industries and many parts of the world. Over the last years, he has built a significant track record in insolvency-related disputes. A recent focus area is the defence against civil claims following from compliance breaches, including ESG and Human Rights. He frequently acts as an arbitrator and also as a mediator.
Patrick is a go-to person for strategic disputes. He has broad experience in representing clients in arbitration, litigation and alternative dispute resolution proceedings.
Being qualified in Germany as well as in England and Wales, Patrick is comfortable in bridging the gap between common law and civil law. One of his special interests is conflict management, ie strategically advising clients on the choice of appropriate resolution mechanisms for a specific dispute.
Patrick’s regional focus is on Germany, Switzerland, the Nordic countries and Poland.
He speaks German, English and French.
- Developing and implementing the defence of an original equipment manufacturer (OEM) in a compliance-related multijurisdictional dispute against civil claims raised by customers against the OEM and its dealers.
- Representing and advising various clients in disputes regarding the adaption of long-term contracts in view of COVID-19 legislation in different jurisdictions.
- Acting for one of the world’s leading shipping companies in multijurisdictional disputes arising out of the insolvency of a supplier, including an insolvency-related arbitration.
- Representing the Dubai subsidiary of a leading German OEM in the automotive industry in an ICC arbitration filed by the former exclusive dealer for the Qatar region.
- Advising a DAX-30 company in a strategic review of its legal situation upstream and downstream in the supply chain.
- Representing a DAX-30 company in an investor-state dispute against a government in Latin America.
- Legal education at the universities of Hanover, Germany, and Le Havre, France
- Degree of doctor of laws (Dr iur) from the University of Hanover
- Master’s degree in European legal practice (MLE)
- Mediator for business disputes at the Centre for Dispute Resolution at Ludwig Maximilian University (Wirtschaftsmediator MuCDR, 2004)
- Rechtsanwalt, Germany (2005)
- Solicitor, England and Wales (2010)
- Honorary Professor at University of Hanover