About Dr. Hans-Patrick Schroeder
Patrick specialises in arbitration, corporate litigation and compliance follow-on litigation. He represents clients in high-stakes disputes in various industries and many parts of the world. Recently, he has built a significant track record in insolvency-related disputes.
Patrick is a go-to person for strategic disputes. He has broad experience in representing clients in arbitration, litigation and alternative dispute resolution proceedings.
A recent focus area is the defence against civil claims following from compliance breaches. He frequently acts as an arbitrator and also as a mediator.
Being qualified in Germany as well as in England and Wales, Patrick is comfortable in bridging the gap between common law and civil law. One of his special interests is conflict management, ie strategically advising clients on the choice of appropriate resolution mechanisms for a specific dispute.
Patrick’s regional focus is on Germany, Switzerland, the Nordic countries and Poland.
He speaks German, English and French.
- Developing and implementing the defence of an original equipment manufacturer (OEM) in a compliance-related multijurisdictional dispute against civil claims raised by customers against the OEM and its dealers.
- Representing a Big-Four firm in Germany against claims brought in arbitration proceedings, state courts and in front of labour law tribunals relating to claims arising from an M&A transaction.
- Acting for one of the world’s leading shipping companies in multijurisdictional disputes arising out of the insolvency of a supplier, including an insolvency-related arbitration.
- Representing the Dubai subsidiary of a leading German OEM in the automotive industry in an ICC arbitration filed by the former exclusive dealer for the Qatar region.
- Defending the German government as the sole shareholder of a German bank post bail-out in appraisal proceedings brought by former shareholders squeezed-out in the process of the bail-out.
- Legal education at the universities of Hanover, Germany, and Le Havre, France
- Degree of doctor of laws (Dr iur) from the University of Hanover
- Master’s degree in European legal practice (MLE)
- Mediator for business disputes at the Centre for Dispute Resolution at Ludwig Maximilian University (Wirtschaftsmediator MuCDR, 2004)
- Rechtsanwalt, Germany (2005)
- Solicitor, England and Wales (2010)
- Part-time lecturer for commercial law at the University of Hanover (Chair of German and European Private and Economic Law, Prof Dr Oppermann)