About Jon Scurr
Jon advises clients on IP, IT, technology, data and commercial matters, with a particular focus on the life sciences sector. He has extensive experience advising on IP disputes and risk management and on the acquisition, disposal and licensing of IP rights in the context of international M&A, joint ventures and strategic licensing and collaboration transactions. He also regularly advises on manufacturing, supply and other related commercial arrangements, as well as on business separation and commercial issues in the context of complex IP/tech-heavy carve-outs.
Jon has been seconded to the firm’s New York office and an infrastructure client. He has also worked in-house as Senior IP Counsel at the leading antibody and regents supplier, Abcam, where he advised on a range of IP, technology and commercial issues in relation to M&A, R&D programmes, manufacturing and supply arrangements and strategic licensing and collaboration deals (particularly with diagnostic partners).
- Advising Novartis on the intellectual property, business separation and services arrangements for a number of transactions including:
- the spin-off and operational separation of its eyecare division, Alcon in 2019
- divisional asset swaps with GSK in 2015 covering oncology, OTC and vaccines assets
- the sale of its animal health division to Eli Lilly
- Advising AstraZeneca on a joint venture pharmaceutical collaboration with Merck, including reciprocal IP licensing arrangements
- Advising CVC on the acquisition of a majority interest in Medivet, a leading veterinary care provider in the UK, Germany and Spain
- Advising a global pharmaceutical company on the commercial agreements required to implement the strategic realignment of certain of its products
- Advising London Stock Exchange Group on its £450m acquisition of Pearson’s stake in FTSE, and on acquisitions leading to the creation of FTSE Russell
- Advising Japan Tobacco on IP-related disputes across the world, including the UK Court of Appeal, relating to plain packaging of tobacoo products,
- Advising a global sports media business on complex IP licensing, broadcasting and other commercial arrangements.
- Acting for an international electronics company in pan-European litigation relating to consumer electronics.
- Advising a leading consumer products manufacturer on its long-term supply agreements.
- Acting for the Department for Transport on the software and branding aspects of its £2bn+ Intercity Express train procurement deal
- University of Oxford, UK (diploma in intellectual property law and practice, with distinction)
- BPP Law School, UK (graduate diploma in law, with commendation; legal practice course, with distinction)
- University of York, UK (BA (Hons) in history, 2.1)