About Maria Slobodchikova
Maria Slobodchikova is a senior associate in our disputes resolution group, based in New York.
Maria represents clients in complex commercial disputes in state and federal courts and before international arbitral tribunals.
Before joining Freshfields, she was an associate in the dispute resolution practice of a prominent international law firm’s New York office. While in law school, Maria served as a judicial extern for the Honorable William G. Young of the U.S. District Court for the District of Massachusetts.
Maria is a member of the editorial board of Arbitration International, official journal of the London Court of International Arbitration.
Maria's experience includes advising:
- A European synthetic diamonds manufacturer in a multi-jurisdictional dispute with its joint venture partner related to the management and restructuring of the joint venture project.
- The Republic of Latvia in obtaining dismissal of an action to enforce arbitral award.
- A Canadian gold mining company, in a contractual dispute with Venezuela (NY state court).
- A class of indigent New Yorkers in a dispute against the NYS Department of Health concerning validity of New York Medicaid Dental Policy (S.D.N.Y.).
- Centerra Gold Inc. in UNCITRAL arbitration against Kyrgyzstan over a gold mining concession.*
- A Brazilian oil drilling company in a multijurisdictional dispute with a joint venture partner in an oil drillship venture and the subsequent proceedings on enforcement of the arbitral award.*
- A global investment bank in a securities class action alleging fraudulent misrepresentations.*
- A major financial institution in a dispute against the US Department of Justice alleging misrepresentations in disclosures relating to financial instruments backed by residential subprime mortgages.*
- A Swiss bank in its settlement resolving the New York Attorney General's claims regarding the sale of residential mortgage-backed securities in the run-up to the financial crisis.*
* Work performed by a Freshfields attorney while in practice at another firm
- Boston University School of Law, J.D., magna cum laude, 2016
- Boston University School of Law, LL.M. in American Law, 2012
- University of Lausanne, LL.M. in International and European Economic and Commercial Law, 2010
- State University—Higher School of Economics, J.D. equivalent, Civil and Business Law, with honors, 2004
Maria is admitted to practice in the State of New York, the United States District Court for the Southern District of New York, the United States Courts of Appeals for the Second and District of Columbia Circuits.