About James Smethurst
James is the Head of Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer’s financial institutions regulatory practice in London and advises on a broad range of regulatory issues for both wholesale and retail financial services clients.
James is a member of the International Regulatory Strategy Group Council, and of the Regulatory Committee of the British Venture Capital Association. He also sits on the Financial Markets Law Committee Insurance Scoping Forum and the LexisPSL Financial Services Consulting Editorial Board. James has contributed to a number of legal journals and other publications, including the Practitioner's Guide to MiFID II and EU Financial Services Directives.
James joined the firm in 1999 and became a partner in 2006.
- Advising the London Stock Exchange Group plc on a number of recent acquisitions including LCH and Frank Russell and its subsequent disposal of Russell Investments.
- Advising Centerbridge on its acquisition of Canopius.
- Advising Blackstone on its initial and subsequent investment in Rothesay Life.
- Advising a number of clients on MiFID II implementation.
- Advising a number of clients, including the Society of Lloyd’s, on their Brexit contingency planning.