About David Sonter
David builds long-term relationships by focusing on issues of strategic importance for his clients and acting as a trusted adviser to senior executives. He draws on his economics training and over 25 years’ legal experience advising a diverse range of companies around the world.
David’s transactional work includes acquisitions, disposals, takeovers, joint ventures, equity capital markets and restructurings in the telecoms, energy, B2B and other sectors in over 15 countries.
David is the Freshfields Corporate Country Partner for Ireland and has 15 years M&A experience in Brazil.
David is highly regarded as an M&A and private equity lawyer in IFLR’s law firm guide, is recognised for this Brazil M&A work by Latin Laywer magazine and was recognised by Deal magazine as their European Technology and Telecoms lawyer of the year in 2018.
- Compass on its £2bn share placing, Fulller, Smith & Turner on its £54m share placing and Deliveroo and Pepco Group on their £7.6bn and £4.3bn IPOs.
- Tesco on its £3.9bn cash-and-shares merger with Booker, strategic alliance with Carrefour, £8.2bn disposal of its Asian business and £5bn special dividend.
- CK Hutchison on creation of its €22bn Italian mobile telecoms JV with Veon and €2.45bn acquisition of Veon's 50% JV shareholding.
- The joint administrators of Arcadia on the sale of its Topshop, Topman and other clothing brands to ASOS, Boohoo and City Chic.
- Cosan on its Raizen Latin American sugar and ethanol JV with Shell.
- Liberty Global on its €19bn Dutch telecoms JV with Vodafone, its €1.9bn disposal of UPC Austria to Deutsche Telekom, its €19bn disposal of UPC Germany and CEE to Vodafone and its 9.9 per cent stake in ITV.
- University of New South Wales, Sydney, Australia (law, economics)