About Claude Stansbury
Claude advises multinational companies and private equity funds on domestic and cross-border acquisitions, financings, restructurings and disposals.
He also has extensive experience with structured finance transactions, products and derivatives.
His cross-border experience includes structuring joint ventures and operating arrangements in developing economies.
- Advising Starbuck Corporation on the formation of a global coffee alliance with Nestlé S.A. in which Starbucks appointed Nestlé to be its sole distributor of packaged coffee and tea in the consumer packaged goods and food service distribution channels in connection with the $7.25bn upfront payment and ongoing supply sales and royalties.
- Advising BASF SE and BASF Corporation on their $8.6bn acquisition of significant components of Bayer AG’s global seed, seed coating, pesticide and non-selective herbicide businesses.
- Advising Total SA on its $7.45bn acquisition of Maersk Oil and Gas and on its $350m acquisition of Danish oil operations from Chevron.
- Advising Merck KGaA on its $4.2bn sale of its Consumer Health business to The Procter & Gamble Company.
- Advising Messer Group GmbH, CVC Capital Partners (Deutschland) GmbH and CVC Capital Partners Fund VII in relation to the tax aspects of their joint acquisition of the divestiture package of the Linde/Praxair merger for $3.3bn (€2.8bn).
- Advising Henderson Group on its $6bn all-stock merger of equals with Janus Capital to form Janus Henderson Global Investors, a leading global active asset manager with assets under management of more than $320bn. This transaction was named “Tax Deal of the Year” by IFLR in 2018.
- Advising Boehringer Ingelheim on the $22.8bn swap of its consumer healthcare business with Sanofi’s animal health business Merial.
- Advising London Stock Exchange Group plc on its $685m acquisition of The Yield Book and Citi Fixed Income Indices from Citigroup Inc.
- Advising Japan Tobacco on its $5bn acquisition of the non-US operations of Natural American Spirit from Reynolds American.
- Advising Telecity Group on the £2.35bn cash and share offer by Equinix, a US-listed REIT.
- JD, Boalt Hall School of Law, University of California at Berkeley.
- The Edmund A. Walsh School of Foreign Service at Georgetown University.
- The London School of Economics and Political Science.
- Admitted to California and District of Columbia bars as well as to the United States Tax Court, the Court of Federal Claims and the United States Supreme Court.
- Member, International Tax and Finance Forum.
- Chaired the Corporate Tax Committee of the American Bar Association’s Task Force on Section 304.
- Served as adjunct professor at Georgetown University Law Center.