About Claude Stansbury
Claude advises multinational companies and private equity funds on domestic and cross-border acquisitions, financings, restructurings and disposals.
He also has extensive experience with structured finance transactions, products and derivatives.
His cross-border experience includes structuring joint ventures and operating arrangements in developing economies.
- Pearson plc on the sale of its international Online Program Management business, Pearson Online Learning Services, to an affiliate of Regent LP.
- Stagwell on its $108 million debut secondary offering.
- Holcim on its $1.293 billion acquisition of Duro-Last.
- Oracle on its SEC-registered offering of $5.25 billion aggregate principal amount of senior notes.
- London Stock Exchange Group on its acquisition of AcadiaSoft.
- Ericsson on the sale of its IoT Accelerator and Connected Vehicle Cloud businesses and related assets to Aeris Communications, Inc.
- Siemens on the sale of its global low-voltage NEMA motors business to ABB.
- Sandvik on the tax aspects of its US acquisition of DWFritz Automation.
- CVC Capital Partners Fund VIII on the tax aspects of its ~$470m investment in Aleph Holding.
- EQT on the US tax due diligence and structuring of its 2019 purchase of Igenomix and advising EQT on its 2021 €1.25bn sale of Igenomix.
- Hewlett Packard Enterprise (HPE) on the US tax considerations for (i) HPE’s strategic acquisition of Determined AI to enhance its high performance computing and machine learning capabilities; and (ii) HPE’s $925m acquisition of Silver Peak to create a Software-Defined Wide Area Network leader.
- Sitel Group on the US tax considerations of its the $2.2bn merger to take private Nasdaq-listed Sykes Enterprises and related acquisition finance and global refinance structuring.
- Starbuck Corporation on the formation of a global coffee alliance with Nestlé S.A. in which Starbucks appointed Nestlé to be its sole distributor of packaged coffee and tea in the consumer packaged goods and food service distribution channels in connection with the $7.25bn upfront payment and ongoing supply sales and royalties.
- BASF SE and BASF Corporation on their $8.6bn acquisition of significant components of Bayer AG’s global seed, seed coating, pesticide and non-selective herbicide businesses.
- Total SA on its $7.45bn acquisition of Maersk Oil and Gas and on its $350m acquisition of Danish oil operations from Chevron.
- Merck KGaA on its $4.2bn sale of its Consumer Health business to The Procter & Gamble Company.
- Messer Group GmbH, CVC Capital Partners (Deutschland) GmbH and CVC Capital Partners Fund VII in relation to the tax aspects of their joint acquisition of the divestiture package of the Linde/Praxair merger for $3.3bn (€2.8bn).
- Henderson Group on its $6bn all-stock merger of equals with Janus Capital to form Janus Henderson Global Investors, a leading global active asset manager with assets under management of more than $320bn. This transaction was named “Tax Deal of the Year” by IFLR in 2018.
- Boehringer Ingelheim on the $22.8bn swap of its consumer healthcare business with Sanofi’s animal health business Merial.
- London Stock Exchange Group plc on its $685m acquisition of The Yield Book and Citi Fixed Income Indices from Citigroup Inc.
- Japan Tobacco on its $5bn acquisition of the non-US operations of Natural American Spirit from Reynolds American.
- Telecity Group on the £2.35bn cash and share offer by Equinix, a US-listed REIT.
- JD, Boalt Hall School of Law, University of California at Berkeley.
- The Edmund A. Walsh School of Foreign Service at Georgetown University.
- The London School of Economics and Political Science.
- Admitted to California and District of Columbia bars as well as to the United States Tax Court, the Court of Federal Claims and the United States Supreme Court.
- Member, International Tax and Finance Forum.
- Chaired the Corporate Tax Committee of the American Bar Association’s Task Force on Section 304.
- Served as adjunct professor at Georgetown University Law Center.