About Sofia Svinkovskaya
Sofia Svinkovskaya is an associate in the firm's International Arbitration Group and Global Projects Disputes Practice.
Sofia specialises in international commercial and investment treaty arbitration. She has particular experience with disputes involving investment protection under bilateral investment treaties, construction and engineering, infrastructure, energy, gaming, telecommunications, and international sale of goods.
Before joining Freshfields, Sofia worked was an associate in the arbitration team of a renowned Austrian dispute resolution boutique and externed at the International Centre for Settlement of Investment Disputes (ICSID) in Washington D.C.
Sofia is a graduate of the University of Vienna (Mag.iur.) and holds an LL.M. degree in International Business and Economic Law from Georgetown Law, which she attended as Georgetown's International Arbitration Scholar. She is admitted to practice in New York (USA).
Sofia speaks English, German, Russian, Slovak, Ukrainian and Czech.
- Advising a Middle Eastern joint venture sub-contractor in relation to ICC arbitration proceedings concerning significant payment disputes and delay and disruption claims for works at a major oil and gas facility in the UAE.
- Advising a multinational telecommunications company in an ICC arbitration relating to a post-M&A dispute.
- Advising an Austrian transportation company in a multi-faceted international dispute with a Central European State before the European Court of Human Rights.
- *Advising Austrian investors in the gaming sector in an ICSID arbitration against Argentina under the Austria-Argentina BIT concerning revocation of a gaming license.
*Experience prior to joining Freshfields
- Georgetown Law, LL.M. (International Arbitration Scholar, Distinction and Dean's List)
- Georgetown Law (Certificate in International Arbitration and Dispute Resolution)
- The Hague Academy of International Law
- University of Vienna, Mag.iur.
- New York, USA (Attorney-at-law)