About Jan Willem van der Staay
With a well-earned reputation for innovative thinking, Jan Willem has been involved in a wide range of public and private M&A transactions, including private equity and infrastructure, across a range of sectors and jurisdictions.
He has been involved in a wide range of public and private M&A transactions across a range of sectors and jurisdictions. Jan Willem has also advised domestic and international clients on their corporate governance issues and has assisted businesses during regulatory investigations. With a strong track record in corporate litigation, He has pleaded various high-profile takeover cases and joint-venture disputes in the Dutch courts. He also sits as an arbitrator. Among his clients are ABN AMRO, NN Group, Allianz, VodafoneZiggo, Royal Boskalis, Fiat Industrial, UPS. KPMG, EQT, CVC, PAI, CPP Investments and British Columbia Investments.
- Representing NN Group N.V., the leading Dutch insurer, on its €2.5bn public offer for Delta Lloyd.
- Representing United Parcel Service, Inc., the global express package company, on its (ultimately aborted) €5.2bn public offer for TNT Express N.V.
- Representing Ziggo N.V., the leading Dutch cable operator, in connection with the €7bn public offer by Liberty Global Plc to acquire all Ziggo's share capital.
- Advising KPMG on compliance issues
- Advising CNH Industrial N.V. and affiliates on their redomiciliation, cross-border mergers and governance structure – Dutch company structure, UK tax residence, dual listings on NYSE and Borsa Italiana.
- Advising ABN AMRO Bank on the unwinding of the RBS-Fortis-Santander consortium, including its legal demerger (involving €500bn of assets and liabilities), its subsequent merger with Fortis Nederland N.V. and various other transactions.
- Advising Perrigo Company, Inc., the US pharmaceutical company, with regard to the Dutch legal aspects of the Teva/Mylan/Perrigo hostile takeover bids
- Advising a consortium consisting of PAI Partners, a leading European private equity firm, and the existing majority shareholder Charles Jobson on its all-cash public offer for all shares of Royal Wessanen, representing a total consideration of approximately €885m. Royal Wessanen is a European leader in healthy, organic and sustainable food
- Advising British Columbia Investment Management, on its joint public offer (together with PAI Partners SAS) in respect of Refresco Group, the world’s largest independent bottler for retailers and A-brands in Europe and North America, for an aggregate consideration of €1.6bn
- Utrecht University (1982)
- Teacher at the post-graduate Programme on Mergers & Acquisitions at the Free University of Amsterdam