About Jan Willem van der Staay
With a well-earned reputation for innovative thinking, Jan Willem has been involved in a wide range of public and private M&A transactions, including private equity and infrastructure, across a range of sectors and jurisdictions.
He has also advised domestic and international clients on their corporate governance issues, and has assisted businesses during regulatory investigations.
With a strong track record in corporate litigation, Jan Willem has pleaded various high-profile takeover cases and joint-venture disputes in the Dutch courts. He also sits as an arbitrator.
He speaks Dutch and English and is able to accommodate French and German speaking audiences.
- Representing NN Group N.V., the leading Dutch insurer, on its €2.5bn public offer for Delta Lloyd.
- Representing United Parcel Service, Inc., the global express package company, on its (ultimately aborted) €5.2bn public offer for TNT Express N.V.
- Representing Ziggo N.V., the leading Dutch cable operator, in connection with the €7bn public offer by Liberty Global Plc to acquire all Ziggo's share capital.
- Advising CNH Industrial N.V. and affiliates on their redomiciliation, cross-border mergers and governance structure – Dutch company structure, UK tax residence, dual listings on NYSE and Borsa Italiana.
- Advising ABN AMRO Bank on the unwinding of the RBS-Fortis-Santander consortium, including its legal demerger (involving €500bn of assets and liabilities), its subsequent merger with Fortis Nederland N.V. and various other transactions.
- Advising Perrigo Company, Inc., the US pharmaceutical company, with regard to the Dutch legal aspects of the Teva/Mylan/Perrigo hostile takeover bids.
- Utrecht University
- Teacher at the post-graduate Programme on Mergers & Acquisitions at the Free University of Amsterdam