About Vanessa van Weelden
Vanessa is a principal associate in our Brussels antitrust, competition and trade team. Her practice focuses on all aspects of EU and German competition law including merger control proceedings, antitrust investigations and antitrust compliance.
Vanessa's experience covers complex merger cases before the European Commission and Germany’s Bundeskartellamt, as well foreign investment proceedings before national authorities. She also covers antitrust investigations and follow-on damages litigation as well as advice on strategic partnerships, supply and distribution chains, and compliance programmes. She has particular experience in the TMT, digital and biotech sectors.
Prior to joining Freshfields, Vanessa was a member of the antitrust group of another international law firm.
She speaks English and German.
- Advising Thermo Fisher Scientific on the EU and global merger control aspects of its proposed $11.5bn acquisition of Qiagen
- Advising Deutsche Telekom and Greek telecom group OTE on the antitrust aspects of the sale of their Romanian fixed-line telephony division, the former Romtelecom, to Orange
- Advising various TMT operators on the antitrust aspects of a proposed sale of their respective telecommunications towers and related long-term lease agreements
- Representing a TMT operator as a third party and remedy taker in the European Commission's Phase II merger investigation of a cable transaction
- Advising a car manufacturer on the antitrust aspects of a strategic partnership in relation to automatic driving
- Various private equity clients on merger control and foreign investment aspects in relation to their investment portfolios
- University of Freiburg, Germany
- University of Heidelberg, Germany
- China University of Political Science and Law Beijing, China
- Legal traineeship (Referendariat) at Munich Higher Regional Court (Oberlandesgericht), including traineeship at the European Commission, DG Competition
- Rechtsanwältin admitted to the Munich Bar
- Admitted to the Brussels Bar (E-list)