About Kevin Whibley
Kevin focuses on contentious matters relating to insolvency and insurance.
He advises debtors, creditors and insolvency practitioners on legal and regulatory issues concerning insolvent financial institutions, financial restructurings, and related commercial, legal and regulatory issues.
He also advises insurers on contentious matters, including regulatory and strategic issues as well as coverage.
Kevin joined Freshfields in 2007 and is a member of the firm’s financial institutions disputes group.
Kevin’s recent experience includes advising:
- the joint administrators of Elite Insurance Company Limited, an insolvent Gibraltar-based insurer which wrote general insurance business in several EU jurisdictions and the UK, on all matters relating to resolution of the company’s affairs;
- an insurer in co-ordination of its global response to claims relating to COVID-19;
- the Equitable Life on its ground-breaking transaction to transfer all of its business to another life-insurer and at the same time (and by scheme of arrangement) convert its with-profits business to unit-linked business and make various changes to policies; and
- a global bank in respect of two complex claims in the investment bank special administration of MF Global.
- London School of Economics and Political Science (LLM)
- University of Oxford (BA, Law)
- Solicitor-Advocate, Higher Courts Civil, England and Wales