About Hendrik Witt
Hendrik Witt advises clients on all aspects of IT law.
Hendrik regularly advises multinational and domestic clients on national and international data protection law, technology-driven innovation and digital projects. This includes representing companies in proceedings before regulators and courts. In addition, he has substantial experience in advising on M&A transactions on commercial aspects in IT/IP law, cyber security and data privacy compliance aspects.
Hendrik was on secondment for an international technology driven company and an international insurance company.
Hendrik teaches international data protection law at the University of Göttingen. He regularly publishes on legal issues around IT law and data protection law.
Prior to joining Freshfields, Hendrik worked as an associate for another international law firm in the field of information technology law with a special focus on developing legal tech products.
Hendrik speaks German, English, and French.
Hendrik is a valued sparring partner for clients when it comes to defining strategies and efficient ways of implementation for digital projects, considering regulatory requirements and focusing on commercial value.
He has advised on a broad range of projects, proceedings, and transactions. Highlights of his recent experience include:
- Advising a global insurance company on their data strategy, including various data-driven use cases, implementation of AI technology as well as GDPR-related authority fine proceedings and administrative proceedings
- Advising a leading automotive company on GDPR-related authority fine proceedings and administrative proceedings regarding transfer of personal data to the U.S.
- Representing a leading automotive company in commercial contract negotiations in the context of connected cars
- Advising on costumer contracts for an international technology company and advising on related B2B contract negotiations
- Advising various clients on major cyber security incidents, including coordination of global correspondences with regulators and notifications of individuals, e.g., an international mobility service provider, an international supplier in the automotive sector, and a global hotel chain on their responses to cyber incidents
- Advising clients on IP/IT and data protection law in various M&A transactions both on the buy-slide and sell-side, including the following recent highlights:
- Allianz X, the digital investment arm of Allianz Group, on its acquisition of the Innovation Group, a leading global provider of claims and technology solutions to the insurance and automotive industries
- Private equity investor EQT on the sale of Utimaco Verwaltungs GmbH, one of the leading global providers of mission-critical professional cybersecurity and data intelligence solutions for regulated critical infrastructures
- CompuGroup Medical SE & Co. KGaA on its acquisition of the Medico business sold by Cerner, Inc. as well as on its acquisition of Insight Health
- University of Göttingen, Germany
- University of Geneva, Swittzerland (Certificate of Transnational Law)
- College of Europe, Belgium (LL.M.)
- Traineeship (Referendariat) at the Higher Regional Court of Berlin, Germany
- Rechtsanwalt, Germany