About Marcus Wolter
Marcus is a member of our global transactions practice, and specialises in all forms of M&A work, joint venture structures and venture capital transactions in all sectors.
A member of our general industries and TMT sector groups, he has particular expertise in handling technology-driven projects.
Marcus regularly participates in delivering speeches on digital transformation issues, ai, IoT, blockchain and venture capital related topics in Japan and across Asia.
He has previously spent time working in our Munich and Frankfurt offices, and has been based in Tokyo since 2015.
Marcus speaks German and English.
- Advising various Japanese listed companies on their growth equity and venture capital investments and CVC structures.
- Advising Ajinomoto, Japan's largest food company, on its $532m acquisition of a 33.33 per cent stake in Promasidor, a major seasonings and processed foods manufacturer that conducts business in 36 African countries. Read more about the deal in our case study.
- Advising Lenovo on its PC joint venture with Fujitsu.
- Advising Eppendorf AG on its acquisition of the centrifuge business of Japan’s Koki Holdings.
- Marubeni Corporation in its acquisition of Danish Salmon A/S together with Nippon Suisan Kaisha.
- Advising Marubeni Corporation in its cooperation with GE to deploy artificial intelligence solutions for predictive maintenance and increased operational efficiency in Marubeni Corporation’s power plants.
- Advising Kurita Water Industries on its acquisition of the paper, water and alumina business from Israel Chemicals.
- Advising Hewlett-Packard on the separation of the Inc Group (now HP Inc) from the Enterprise Group (now Hewlett Packard Enterprise).
- Advising Microsoft on its acquisition of Nokia's mobile phone business.
- Advising Starbucks on the $1.3bn buy-out of its East China joint venture, comprising approximately 1,300 Starbucks stores, from its long-term joint venture partners Uni-President Enterprises Corporation and President Chain Store Corporation and on its sale of its 50 per cent interest in President Starbucks Coffee Taiwan, comprising around 410 Starbucks stores, for approximately $175m
- Advising a major bank in its participation in the central bank backed utility settlement coin project.
- Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany
- Harvard Law School, Cambridge
- Legal traineeship (Referendariat) in Beijing (at the German embassy) and in Berlin (Hengeler Mueller)
Licensed to practise German law in Japan (gaikokuho jimu bengoshi)