About Dr. Jérôme Philippe
Avocat à la Cour, economist and engineer, Jérôme advises clients in:
- antitrust, competition and trade,
- data regulation and cyber,
Jérôme advises clients in all areas of EU and French competition law: concentrations, antitrust, State aid and damage claims. He represents his clients before governments, competition authorities and courts. He is a Non Governmental Advisor appointed by the French competition authority before the International Competition Network (ICN).
He is also very active in Foreign Investment Review and regulatory matters (digital, media, telecommunications, energy, health, transportation...).
Jérôme also advises a broad range of clients on all data and cybersecurity issues (compliance, investigations, litigation, crisis response).
Jérôme combines scientific, economic and legal backgrounds, enabling him to provide a unique integrated approach of complex matters.
As a fellow ("auditeur") of the IHEDN (Institute of Advanced Studies in National Defence), he also has a particular knowledge of economic security and sovereignty issues.
Before joining the firm, Jérôme used to be the head of the office of concentrations and State aid at the DGCCRF (Ministry of finance), then in charge of implementing the French merger control and representing France before the European commission for EU merger control and State aid.
Jérôme is fluent in French and English.
- Advising EDF on its acquisition of the nuclear turbine and generator business of General Electric (formerly Alstom)
- Advising EDF on its acquisition of a controlling stake in Framatome, the nuclear reactor business of Areva
- Advising Total on its acquisitions of Maersk Oil and of Chevron Denmark
- Advising SFR FTTH, Altice, Omers and Allianz Capital Partners on their acquisition of Covage, the French optical fiber operator
- Advising the French lottery group la Française des Jeux on its IPO and privatisation process
- Advising AkzoNobel on its acquisition of Mapaero group
- Advising Phoenix International in its acquisitions of towers businesses from several sellers, including Cellnex
- Advising Michelin on its recommended all-cash offer for London-listed Fenner plc
- Advising many (confidential) foreign investors in obtaining their Foreign Investment Reviews approvals and negotiation conditions with the relevant governmental authorities
- Advising Total on the merger control aspects of its acquisition of Maersk Oil
- Advising Meta in the negotiation of commitments with the French competition authority
- Advising Yoplait in its successful defence against claimants in the Yoghurt cartel case
- Advising Renault Trucks and Volvo Trucks in damage claims defence following the European Commission's Trucks Decision
- Advising a global internet player in relation to CNIL proceedings and to pan-European compliance in relation to its cookie consent banners
- Advising major (confidential) operators in relation to data breach (incl. cyber attacks) response
- Advising (confidential) car makers in relation to the privacy and cybersecurity aspects of connected vehicles
- Advising (confidential) clients in ensuring GDPR compliance internationally
- Ecole Polytechnique, France (engineer, X88)
- ENSAE ParisTech, France (statistician-economist, 1993)
- Toulouse School of Economics, France (PhD in economics, 1999)
- Auditeur IHEDN, France (fellow of the Institute of Advanced Studies in National Defence, 2022)
- ANSSI SecNum MOOC (2021)
- Avocat à la Cour (2002)
- Founding member of X-Droit, an association of lawyer polytechniciens
- Non Governmental Advisor appointed by the French Competition authority at the ICN (International Competition Network)